Unseen Academicals Review

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Very surprised that Cory Doctorow didn't have better insight

I mean, this is a the guy who has put out one decent, if derivative, post-Gibson-geeknovel (Down and Out in The Magic Kingdom), one quite good if very derivate Tom Robbins novels (Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town), and several other forgettable books.

Most of his review gives the DW backstory. The review itself is lightweight, and totally insightful. Of course, anyone whose favorite DW novel is "Monstroust Regiment" simply can't be trusted, anyway. :)

Jeff in Boston

Bully

Nov 16, 2009
United Kingdom
Hello, new guy here, so I'm probably repeating things already said.

I love the fact that the author of the review is positive about the book, but I have a couple of issues with it (the review).

As Jeff In Boston (raisindot) says, half of the review is wasted on DW backstory. As much as I'd like to get more people into the DW canon, I don't think the 37th book is the best place to start. (I do note the reviewer says it's inside-baseball, but I don't think that's a real expression!)

I noted that: "he's let the trolls, vampires, medusae, dwarves, werewolves, zombies, and assorted other nonhumans into the city". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any medusae ever taking up residence in Ankk-Morkpork?

There's also no regognition that Discworld football bares a strong resemblance to our medieval football, when teams fought to take the ball between villages.

Any how, I'm niggling now, and I should really be in bed. I look forward to finding out the inevitable mistakes I've made :p

Cheers

B

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Bully said:
I noted that: "he's let the trolls, vampires, medusae, dwarves, werewolves, zombies, and assorted other nonhumans into the city". Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall any medusae ever taking up residence in Ankk-Morkpork?
A Medusa is mentioned in passing, as having joined the watch, there was a windy day, her sunglasses blew off and several people were turned to stone for 30 minutes before the wizards magic-ed them better again.

I missed it first time too. :p

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Tonyblack said:
A small point about the Medusa. If I remember correctly Medusa was the name of one of the Gorgons. :p
In our world, yes. But in DW, it's a species. After all, in our world, there's only one Igor. There, it's a family affair.

:)

Jeff in Boston

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Of course. Medusa must have procreated at some point, and now there's loads :eek:

Makes perfect sense to me.

User Menu

Newsletter