Was Terry Pratchett brought up a Catholic?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
No. Something I just read in a Discworld book. If he did have a Catholic upbringing, then what I've just read would make a lot of sense.

I know he'd read the whole of the Old Testament by the time he was 12 or 13. Then read Darwin.

I wasn't brought up a Catholic and I'm an atheist. :laugh:

Apr 29, 2009
London
I was brought up CofE by both believing parents, but I don't think the world was created by an "entity" who did the stuff, and had the seventh day with his/her/it's feet up.

Mum is not pleased with my "belief".

What's the catholic that you think TP is?

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Terry Pratchett is not strictly speaking an Atheist. He is a member of the Humanist association of Britain(although Im not sure thats there official name).
He doesnt condemn the idea of there being a god so much as the human traits that we apply to them. This comes up in the Discworld novels with the horsemen of the apocalypse.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I've never been under the impression that TP is anti-gods (whatever his beliefs may be), but he certainly seems to be anti-religion. And I can't say I blame him.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Terry seems to be firmly of the opinon (and I tend to agree) that gods are a creation of man. Without people to believe in them, a god doesn't exist. And the more people believe in a god, the stronger that god becomes.

It has always seemed to me that gods are created to explain the unexplainable. To give hope that death is not the end of existance and to try to give some sort of reason for our existance.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Surely it means not believing in any god or gods, not just God. If you believe the flying teapot is a god, how is that different to being a member of any other religion? The Christian god is not the same as others, but people who beieve in these gods aren't atheists.

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
The definition of an atheist is not : someone who doesnt believe in a god
it is: someone who believes there is no god

otherwise they would just be an agnostic.
I think tonyblack put it the best. Pratchett's religous views are very similar to those of John Steinbeck.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Doughnut Jimmy said:
Are you going to enlighten us with which bit in which book? Please?
Page 26 Pyramids. I thought it was a reference to Catholic priest child abuse.

Dotsie said:
If you believe the flying teapot is a god, how is that different to being a member of any other religion?
I don't believe the teapot has magical powers or can grant people wishes, I just believe it's a teapot that happens to be orbitting the world.

theoldlibrarian said:
The definition of an atheist is not : someone who doesnt believe in a god, it is: someone who believes there is no god

otherwise they would just be an agnostic.
As far as I can see there is no difference between your two definitions of an atheist. And I don't agree with your definition of agnostic. :laugh:

a. You believe in a God.

b. You aren't sure if there's a god or not = agnostic

c. You don't believe in a God = atheist

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
poohcarrot said:
That's not what you said first time, smartypants. So if a person believes that the flying teapot is a god (not a God - that's different), then they are not an atheist.

For an atheist, you are more obsessed with God than any christian I've ever met :rolleyes:

Dotsie said:
poohcarrot said:
That's not what you said first time, smartypants. So if a person believes that the flying teapot is a god (not a God - that's different), then they are not an atheist.

For an atheist, you are more obsessed with God than any christian I've ever met :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: Gotta agree with Dat.

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
an atheist believes that no god exists and therefore if they are right there is no entity of any kind.
but an agnostic may not believe in a god it does not mean they actually believ there is no god/entity.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
My sister is a Christian and I'm an atheist, so we get round it by sneering at agnostics.

User Menu

Newsletter