Waterstone's To Drop 3-for-2 Deals

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Apr 29, 2009
London
Waterstone's has announced it will end its 3-for-2 deals on books in September after more than 10 years.

The promotion is expected to be withdrawn this month and replaced by a new pricing structure which will see books sold for £3, £5 and £7.

The bookstore chain was bought by Russian businessman Alexander Mamut earlier this year.

Managing director James Daunt has vowed to shake up the chain amid flagging sales and customer dissatisfaction.

Many publishers have welcomed the move to abandon the 3-for-2 promotion which has dominated the shops' sales in recent years.

Ursula Mackenzie, chair of the Trade Publishers' Council at the Publishers Association, told industry magazine The Bookseller that it was "a good thing".

"I'm not sure that the 3-for-2 is what people are looking for. They want one book, at the cheapest possible price."

But it has also been argued that the offer often gave exposure to lesser known authors who became the third book alongside two bestsellers.

"Without the support of being thrown into promotions featuring today's star names, those authors may find the going tougher," said David Prosser in The Independent.

Waterstone's, which has faced increased competition from online stores such as Amazon, and the rapid growth of e-books, will be hoping for strong sales over the Christmas period.

In an internal email sent in July, Mr Daunt said he would be working closely with shops "to ensure that as we enter the crucial final quarter of the year, we do so with our shops stocked to the best possible effect".

Pearwood

Constable
Feb 21, 2011
From a self-serving point-of-view, I like the idea. I'm such a slow reader that it's rare I would want to pick up 3 books at once so I rarely took advantage of 3 for 2.

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
The only time I took advantage of the 3 for 2 was when I was collecting the Terry Pratchett paperbacks, when I first started reading his books. :laugh:

PoohKarrot

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2011
So China, me old china, you buy Greece and Portugal and we'll throw in Ireland too. And that's cutting the EU's throat, that is! :laugh:

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
I bought more than half my Pratchett paperbacks at Waterstone's in London during holidays there at 3 for 2 so I'll miss them sentimentally. But these days it's all online orders. I'm all for supporting local bookstores but seriously, the difference is huge - about 33% to 50% cheaper for English books in the Netherlands.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Penfold said:
The only time I took advantage of the 3 for 2 was at Christmas when I was buying presents. ;)
Same here, but usually i still got them online. I haven't bought a book in a shop in ages. Actually, I haven't bought a book for myself in ages.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I have a famous resistance to buy one get one free type thingies of any kind 'cos usually you'll just get something extra that you don't need/want. Even with books, unless you're at the start of a series you want to collect it can be hard to find 3 you truly absolutely want and have to have. :rolleyes:

I think with me it goes back to the book club mentality when they used to (probably still do?) a package to lure into getting a book a month deal or whatever during a sdale and then suddenly all those great books you fancied in the sale suddenly dry up and you end up grubbing around to find your quota and just end up with something you never really wanted in the first place. :(

Either way the deal you get ultimately isn't one that works in your favour necessarily - I can see there being lots of OK books out there for 7 quid and utter dross for 3 anyway :(

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
chris.ph said:
it used to save me a fortune b4 i was online now amazon costs me a fortune :laugh: :laugh:
Amazon, yes. :rolleyes: I get quite carried away if I go there. :eek: Am registered so it's easy. :rolleyes:
I have resisted the temptation lately. :laugh:

PoohKarrot

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2011
Tonyblack said:
I don't think I've ever bought a book at Waterstones. o_O
Believe it or not, but I have. When I was over for the DW Con, the day before, I went to Meadowhall with a mate. He wanted to buy some books for his holiday, so we did the 3 for 2 deal and I bought Freakonomics II (which I gave to Dotsie at the Con after reading it.) :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter