Wee Free Men film

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
I'm always really nervous when I hear of a Pratchett movie :shifty: I so want them to be right, ya know? I'm terrified someone's going to make a Watch movie. I liked the Sky versions of The Hogfather and Going Postal and The C of M, but even then I was terribly put off by that lisping camp Jeremy Irons Vetenari (he should have been perfect for the part). I want any movie to be made by a genuine dedicated Pratchett fan with supreme movie-making skills. Nothing less will do :laugh:

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
Who's Wee Dug said:
You will want to see Troll Bridge then Antiq, being made by Snowgum. :mrgreen:
Oooh, saw the trailer for that, it looks terrific! :laugh: I wish they'd hurry up, or get money or whatever they need.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
They have the money and hopefully we will get a screening in Manchester for the Discworld Con, as its all done voluntary by fans for fans no one gets paid, hope to have the DVD by the autumn :handgestures-fingerscrossed: :mrgreen:

Edited to add.Oh yeah... Snowgum Films also turned eleven on the 18th of March in a move that completely took us by surprise. Eleven years marked from our first day location scouting for this film. Eleven years spent with some of the best and most hard working cast, crew and supporters we could ever hope to meet.

We love you all!

http://www.snowgumfilms.com/trollbridge/

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Who's Wee Dug said:
Edited to add.Oh yeah... Snowgum Films also turned eleven on the 18th of March in a move that completely took us by surprise. Eleven years marked from our first day location scouting for this film. Eleven years spent with some of the best and most hard working cast, crew and supporters we could ever hope to meet.

We love you all!

http://www.snowgumfilms.com/trollbridge/
They are waiting until the actor playing Cohen is the proper age. ;)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm, so sorry for the necro-post but it's been 3 years since the last post here. (*sniff* Last Post.... now I hope that's not a bad choice of words, i.e. that the film has died). :-(

I googled "The Wee Free Men Film" and got a whole bunch of articles from The Guardian, The Independent, YouTube, The Telegraph, IMDB etc... but these were all a year ago. Are there any news more recent than that? Is the film still going ahead? I'm re-reading TWFM (with illustrations by Stephen Player, no less! :)), so naturally I'm curious... ;)

The short answer is "yes", and the long answer is more complicated.

There hasn't been anything more to share since the announcement last year (which was about the involvement of the Jim Henson Company) because things move incredibly slowly in movie-making, unless there's someone with a pot of cash trying to get things out quickly (as is the case with blockbuster Hollywood productions). In this case, there isn't a major financial backer yet (or, at least, not one that's been announced) so it's probably a lot of preproduction stuff that's going on - script revisions, concept art, etc.

We spoke briefly to Rob on the phone at the recent Australian Discworld Convention - mostly about the upcoming Good Omens (of which he wasn't allowed to tell us much, not even the casting which was announced the other week - we spoke to him on August 5th), but what did get mentioned about The Wee Free Men is that it's not a dead project by any means[1], but there's no progress to announce as yet. The Henson company is hard at work at something else, so it's in their queue, it's just not being worked on right now.

Given that it's taken 20+ years and several iterations to get Good Omens to the screen (finally!), we will unfortunately have to exhibit a fair amount of patience when it comes to these film adaptations on Terry's works actually being made.

[1] and The Watch isn't dead either, it's in the scripting stage, and is again also still in very early preproduction, despite being announced 9 years ago.

User Menu

Newsletter