wee free men, hat full of sky, wintersmith kids only?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

cam87

Sep 4, 2010
are wee free men, hat full of sky and wintersmith really just for kids or are they really a good read for all discworld fans regardless of age?

thanks guys

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Absolutely not just for kids. I think any Discworld fan would enjoy them. That also goes for The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. ;)

The new Tiffany book - I Shall Wear Midnight - is really good and has some very grown up themes in it.

cam87

Sep 4, 2010
thanks for that tony, i just read on the inside of one of the books that they were for kids and wondered. i have all of the black cover books that have been released except these three and unfortunately The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents hasnt been printed yet. i will order these then.

thanks

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
With books like these I think the term All Ages works better than kids books.
They are well written and have a huge amount of imagination in them.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Even the first book - Wee Free Men - there are some scenes that are dark and show the ignorance of people who do terrible things to an old lady rather than trying to help her.

Terry's writing is almost always on several levels and it's up to the reader how far they want to dig. Try them - you won't be sorry. ;)

Turtles4Ever

Lance-Constable
Jun 6, 2010
ANY "kid's book" can be read by an adult if it's thought provoking and intelligent, and Terry's "kid's books" are both. :laugh:

Even A.A. Milne's "Winnie the Pooh" books are loved by adults, not just for reasons of nostalgia but because they are smartly written.

Fourecksian

Lance-Constable
Sep 21, 2010
Parramatta, Australia
Tonyblack said:
Absolutely not just for kids. I think any Discworld fan would enjoy them. That also goes for The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. ;)

The new Tiffany book - I Shall Wear Midnight - is really good and has some very grown up themes in it.
What Mr Black said. So picking up I Shall Wear Midnight this week

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
I know that the Tiffany books are called "children's" but I think that's somewhat misleading. It's true that the protagonist is a nine year old girl in the first of the series--but she is a nine year old untrained witch which is a different kettle of fish altogether.

And this series is definitely one where the character develops--as she ages, she begins to have more and different problems. I can't wait for Tony to get here with my copy of I Shall Wear Midnight. So, I can't have a problem with spoilers for that one--but these books deal with human problems and themes, some of which affect children also. WFM, for example, deals with grief/loss, learning to take responsibility for one's actions and a fairly sophisticated examination of the responsibilities which each person has, whether young, old, rich, poor, powerful or voiceless.

I have found that, as with many of Terry's other books, one needs to read them in order, but also more than once because (especially with the later ones) they become more complex and deal with bigger issues.

So rush right out and get all of them. I really like these (as a whole) as well or better than the regular witch books (as a group) because I find the earlier witch books less interesting and less well-written. :)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
poohcarrot said:
The only differences I can see between a DW "Young-reader" book and an adult DW book are there are no words I don't understand and no swearing. :laugh:
If those feegles weren't swearing I must have been terribly confused

I am a few chapters into Hat Full of Sky and have to say they much darker than you'd expect, not in the imagery but in the tone. You can really feel her struggle all the way through, also rather suprised at the graphic description of Feegle relationships!

I love the little references to wider Discworld peppered throughout that kids reading for the first time wouldn't wink at but we would.

Especially the university bit early in HFS

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
DaveC said:
I am a few chapters into Hat Full of Sky and have to say they much darker than you'd expect, not in the imagery but in the tone. You can really feel her struggle all the way through, also rather suprised at the graphic description of Feegle relationships!

I love the little references to wider Discworld peppered throughout that kids reading for the first time wouldn't wink at but we would.

Especially the university bit early in HFS

It certainly has levels :laugh: Been a while since i read it though.

Verns

Lance-Corporal
Jun 19, 2010
London
I confess to being a huge fan of PTerry's so-called children's books. The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents was my first taste of his writing and I still have a tremendous fondness for that book. I thought Wee Free Men was a bit 'meh' when I first read it but, as with so many of these books, it grew on me with subsequent readings and the rest of the series is phenomenally good (in my not so humble opinion).

It's probably my arrested development ;) but I love his non-DW children's books as well. I spent a night at an old friend's once and they went to bed at some ridiculously early hour, while I lay awake in their child's room, so I rummaged through her book-shelves and found the Bromeliad Trilogy (Truckers, Diggers and Wings). T'riffic stuff. Loved 'Nation' too. Which reminds me that I must get the Johnny Maxwell Trilogy one of these fine days.

User Menu

Newsletter