What are you listening too?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
spideyGirl said:
Tonyblack said:
'Four Dance Episodes - from Rodeo' by Aaron Copland. :laugh: I love Copland's music. I first got into his music from listening to Prog Rock band, Emerson, Lake & Palmer who did their own versions of several of his pieces. The most famous probably being Fanfare For The Common Man.

Here's the Copland version. :laugh:

ELP got me into Classical Music and I prefer Classical now to Prog Rock.
Has that been used as a theme tune to something?? It sounds familiar :)
Wiki says:
The fanfare has found much use as a theme for television programs. In the United States, Emerson, Lake and Palmer's arrangement of Fanfare for the Common Man was the opening theme song for the CBS Sports Spectacular. In Mexico, it was the main title theme of TV Azteca TV sport program DeporTV. In Scotland, the BBC used it as the theme to their main news program Reporting Scotland in the late 1970s and early 1980s. The Australian television network Seven Network used it in the 1980s and early 1990s as the theme music for Seven Sport broadcasts, and continues to use a teaser version to this day. An early 1980s Canadian television series called "Titans" used Fanfare as its opening theme

ANd these are just a FEW where it has been used. There is a history of the song written in 1946) and more references where it was played in movies here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanfare_for_the_Common_Man

Ahh Tony... here's that phrase again... :laugh: the common man

Nov 21, 2010
wow thanks, :eek:

should have clarified I was meaning an English programme theme tune and serves my laziness right that it would be the one place not mentioned by you :laugh:

deldaisy said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: OMG! DAVE does the washing up???? Do you do windows Dave? cause if you do.......... :laugh:
I do most of the house work, washing, washing up, apart from the cooking, I do a bit of that, as I work a lot of nights so am around in the day.

Although today I am washing up while the missus is in the shower. :laugh:

I actually like washing up :rolleyes:

Willem

Sergeant
Jan 11, 2010
Weert, The Netherlands
I'm listening to 'Now That's What I Call Music', chronologically. We're at the third edition by now. It's like living in the eighties! Right now it's Nelson Mandela by The Special A.K.A. but I've also heard quite some Queen, some Madness, and even the Safety Dance today. Good times!

Willem said:
I'm listening to 'Now That's What I Call Music', chronologically. We're at the third edition by now. It's like living in the eighties! Right now it's Nelson Mandela by The Special A.K.A. but I've also heard quite some Queen, some Madness, and even the Safety Dance today. Good times!
Cool! Always wondered what that would be like.

I started collecting with Now 30, but gave up about 5 years ago.

User Menu

Newsletter