What Are You Reading? 3

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
Tonyblack said:
I've been rereading Terry's later books and have come to the point of reading Making Money.
I've read the DW books many, many times until I get to Making Money then it comes to a regretful halt with the next four (?) books. The Shepherd's Crown is different of course.

Strata is brilliant.

I bought a copy of A Brief History Of Seven Killings by Marlon James. I've got a couple of others to read first but I'm really looking forward to this one.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
After rereading Thud!, Making Money and Snuff, I am just starting to reread Raising Steam. I'm enjoying these later books immensely - even Making Money :eek: I know some people aren't so fond of them, but I love this darker Pratchett.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I'm reading book 3 of the St Mary's series by Jodi Taylor. Time travelling high jinks, with even an occasional nod to Himself.

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
I'm reading A Prayer For Owen Meany by one of my all time favourite authors John Irving.

Also reread Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers. Love those books as well.

Happy reading all.

Ixi

Lance-Constable
Dec 26, 2016
Brno, Czech Republic
Otherwise than slowly getting through Turtle Recall I just finished Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park. It's interesting how much the book differs from the movie (containing much science, filosophical and ethical questions). I quite enjoyed it, though the first half was better I think. :)

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman.

It's Neil, it's Norse but is it any good?

Not sure yet, the very sparse retelling of the Edda is certainly interesting but not yet gripping however I'm only about a fifth of the way in. So far I prefer the 1000 year old Snorri Sturluson originals in the Poetic Edda or at least the translation of them I already have but Neil has his way of telling a story and it will be interesting to see how he keeps this going

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tonyblack said:
I started reading Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones, last night. I watched the Anime version and was curious to read the original. I'm really enjoying it so far.
Still really enjoying this, although it has taken some major departures from the film (or should that be the film has made major departures from the book?).
They go through a door in the castle and come out in the Welsh Valleys in modern times. Howl's real name is Howell Jenkins and he has a sister living there and he owns a car and his costume turns into a shirt that says "Welsh Rugby" on it. :eek:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
The film made major departures from the book. (I'm told that it's best to tell oneself firmly that the film happens to have some of the same names that are in the book, but is an entirely different product.)

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
=Tamar said:
The film made major departures from the book. (I'm told that it's best to tell oneself firmly that the film happens to have some of the same names that are in the book, but is an entirely different product.)
That's true of a lot of book to movie adaptations. It can be frustrating especially if you really liked the book.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Well I have to say that I wasn't impressed with the book of Howl's Moving Castle and doubt if I'll read any other books by that writer. It suffered badly from being from one point of view, that of Sophie and her confusion with what was going on became frustrating. It's a shame I was hoping to find a writer that I'd not read before.

So now I'm rereading 1356 by Bernard Cornwell. It's his dramatic story based around the Battle of Poitiers during the 100 Years War. You can't go far wrong with Bernard Cornwell. I was amused to see a copy of at least one of his books on Terry's shelves during Back To Black. When Bernard was once asked who his favourite character in other books was, he replied that it was Sam Vimes.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Tonyblack said:
Well I have to say that I wasn't impressed with the book of Howl's Moving Castle and doubt if I'll read any other books by that writer. It suffered badly from being from one point of view, that of Sophie and her confusion with what was going on became frustrating. It's a shame I was hoping to find a writer that I'd not read before.
Please don't give up on the strength of one YA book. Consider how many people have dissed Discworld on the basis of TCoM and completely missed out on Vimes and Granny. Diana Wynne Jones has written a wider variety of novels than even Sir Terry, as she rarely visited the same multiverse twice and wrote for adults, YA, MG, and young children. If you want complexity and more than one p.o.v., I would recommend Deep Secret, Dark Lord of Derkholm, or, for deep immersion in complexity, Hexwood (which despite the name is pure SF). It's hard to categorize her novels because they often combine elements that are usually separated into SF and Fantasy. If you want more grimness, Time of the Ghost (YA) or The Homeward Bounders (somewhat younger but one of her grimmest). Apocalyptic living landscape elements with their own opinions? She did them before Aaronovitch. She does allusions too. OK I'll stop now.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm rereading some Bernard Cornwell books. Just finished 1356 (about the battle of Poitiers) and now I'm reading Azincourt (the battles of Harfleur and Agincourt). Bernard is so good at bringing history to life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Menu

Newsletter