What did you learn?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Aug 3, 2009
England
Hi, just wondered,

what have you learned from reading TP?
I think I've learned about science, and never to play Cripple Mr Onion with innocent looking old ladies!

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
I've learned some of the verses to The Hedgehog Song :oops: and to let my thoughts follow the same pathways as TP's imagination.

The Discworld kept me smiling when I was having chemotherapy, and every time my Oncologist saw me in the waiting room, I had a Discworld book in my hand.

I learned to laugh again after being diagnosed with a non-curable disease which disabled me from work and made me take a $60,000 year cut in pay. I learned to take each day as it comes and not to take meself too seriously.

But really, the main thing I got was learning to laugh out loud again, bust a gut, tears streaming down my face laughing.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit said:
I learned to laugh again after being diagnosed with a non-curable disease which disabled me from work and made me take a $60,000 year cut in pay. I learned to take each day as it comes and not to take meself too seriously.

But really, the main thing I got was learning to laugh out loud again, bust a gut, tears streaming down my face laughing.
I know what you mean! Terry's books kept me going through the very worst times of my depression. When everything else in my life made me want to give up, Terry's books made me laugh. :)

Aug 3, 2009
England
Definitely. When my Dad died I re-read all my TPs- they were the only thing I could cope with for a good while. I wonder if TP knows he's brought such comfort to people.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
raspberry said:
Definitely. When my Dad died I re-read all my TPs- they were the only thing I could cope with for a good while. I wonder if TP knows he's brought such comfort to people.
Well I told him when I first met him. :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Wow you guys, I've not been through anything like as much as you have. But I've learned that laughing out loud in public keeps the seat next to you free :oops: ;)

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
Sir Terrys books always make me smile, no matter what happens and his imagination encourage me to write my own stuff. While reading, the ideas just pop up one after another :laugh:
Also, he took my fear of death. I know, I'm only fifteen, but still there was a time when I was immensly afraid of death. Now, I imagine it the same way it happens in his books, like a pathway to another world. And that death isn't so bad. And I'm sure I'll still have at least fifty years, so I won't waste my time sitting around and thinking about it. You need to have fun in your life, at the hardest of times, and with a Discworld book, you'll certainly have it! :)

Allways look on the bright side of life... *melodic whistles*
Allways look on the bright side of death... *dito*
That's what I think about it.[/img]

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Dotsie said:
Wow you guys, I've not been through anything like as much as you have. But I've learned that laughing out loud in public keeps the seat next to you free :oops: ;)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Too True!
Doesn't work for me - I still get the nutter sitting next to me. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter to them that you are obviously reading and have an MP3 player on - they still insist on talking to you.

Tonyblack said:
Dotsie said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Too True!
Doesn't work for me - I still get the nutter sitting next to me. :rolleyes:

It doesn't matter to them that you are obviously reading and have an MP3 player on - they still insist on talking to you.
LOL well, if you did not have your mp3 player on, I would be the nutter yakking your ear off about your wonderful book. LMAO!

User Menu

Newsletter