What happens at a book club?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
In a couple of weeks the book club at my college is discussing TCOM,I've never attended before but have decided to simply because they are talking about Pratchett.

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea about the sort of thing that people actually do at book clubs.I've only ever seen them in american cartoons (i.e family guy "The book can also be...a hat!") so could do with a few pointers about what its really like.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
At mine, we pour ourselves a glass* of wine, then listen to one person introduce the book (the person who suggested it at one group, the group leader at another). Then we spend an hour slagging off said book. We make sure we don't talk amongst ourselves though, only one discussion should take place at a time, and if a quiet person starts talking we all shut up and listen. At one group we give marks out of ten.

Have fun! Slagging off isn't compulsory.

*disposable plastic cup. Enjoy responsibly.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
PS if the conversation starts to slow, the group leader should ask a question to start it going again.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
And you have to read the book before you talk about it.

If you really hated the book you could always tear out the pages and make little paper hats for everyone..... just a suggestion.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
We attend one at the local library when I'm in Tucson. The way that one works is that we all have read the book and then we sit around whole a leader will throw out questions about the book for discussion.

HERE'S a webpage from the University of Sheffield's book group with questions for discussion on Colour of Magic for example.

As you can see, the questions are quite vague and designed to stimulate discussion. When everyone contributes it can be quite interesting.

In the Tucson group we got them to read Going Postal and discuss it. Most of them had never even heard of Terry and certainly never read Fantasy. It was surprising how many of them enjoyed the experience, which was enhanced after we discussed the book. :)

Let us know how you get on. And maybe you'd consider going to the group again only with a book you are unfamiliar with. It's a great way to discover new authors.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Yes, you should have read the book. Don't know why I didn't think to mention it!

Although at my last group, there were three people came (two of them new) who hadn't read it. The reading list was advertised, so I don't know why not. They didn't say anything, or come to the pub afterwards, so it probably wasn't a very rewarding experience.

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
Book Clubs can be fun or awful (depending somewhat on how the books to be discussed are selected). The Color of Magic is an interesting choice. Have you seen the movie? That might be a fruitful topic of discussion.

Speaking of book clubs--may I recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society for you (and possibly the book club. It's about a most unusual book club that deveops on Gurnsey during the German occupation of the island in WW2. Not only interesting insights into what people read and why but also a lot of fascinating history which you may not be aware of (even though I assume you're British).

Hope it's a good group.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Can I play devil's advocate and say that actually, a book that is either loved or hated is better than one that everyone loves. If we all love a book, the conversation dries up much earlier. But the one Sharlene mentions is very good, I read it at her recommendation :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It's the same with the discussions we have on this board. If everyone loves the book then the discussion quickly dries up. One of the longest discussions we had was for Pyramids and that was mainly because some people love it and others don't rate it so highly.

Discussion is good. You get to see something from someone else's point of view and it can often increase your own perception. :laugh:

But it's always worth keeping an open mind during a discussion whether it's on books or flagellum wottsits. :p

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I have sometimes browsed the discussion boards on the DW books and SOOOOO wanted to write something (I may have at some point). But discussing the book in person is so much more interesting than on the forum... the typing.... it feels like an assignment and I would ramble on even more than I do in a usual post. It can actually spoil a good book for me. Not that I don't love reading them when I have the time though.

But sometimes..... I mean.... Pooh HOW could you NOT get that THUD! was the theme right through the whole of the book?... I heard THUDS! every time the "penny dropped" all through that book.

One post that has stuck with me too.... Angua acting towards Carrot in a "dog-like" way; his lap dog. I had NEVER seen that! Now all I can see IS that.... and that has spoiled my interpretation of their relationship for all time. Not that I have ever liked either of them. See? I have to stop now before I start writing WHY I don't like them......

Book clubs can be very very very good... or very very very bad. Hope yours is wonderful.

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
swreader said:
Book Clubs can be fun or awful (depending somewhat on how the books to be discussed are selected). The Color of Magic is an interesting choice. Have you seen the movie? That might be a fruitful topic of discussion.

Speaking of book clubs--may I recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society for you (and possibly the book club. It's about a most unusual book club that deveops on Gurnsey during the German occupation of the island in WW2. Not only interesting insights into what people read and why but also a lot of fascinating history which you may not be aware of (even though I assume you're British).
I have seen the movie and knew that it would be inadequate to go only with my knowledge of that so I hunted down the book in an oxfam.I imagine if I went with only seeing the movie I would be like,"Dryads? Hrun the barbarian? Sea troll? what do you mean aeroplane? o_O

Also,yes I am British

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
Poohcarrot said:
deldaisy wrote:

But sometimes..... I mean.... Pooh HOW could you NOT get that THUD! was the theme right through the whole of the book?... I heard THUDS! every time the "penny dropped" all through that book.

Shocked Confused Eh?

I did get it. It was me who pointed it out. Confused
I guess at a book club or during a book discussion everyone enters an alternate reality and walks away with different memories.Must be the presence of all them words. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter