What have you seen recently? 4

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
Hey everyone, I’ve just started watching Umbrella Academy , it’s quite good. I had that Tiffany song stuck in my head for a couple of days though.

Have recently watched the old Sinbad, Clash of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts movies. Love em.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
If I read between the lines that doesn’t sound like a ringing endorsement?
Let me clarify that I was not sure about the first two but I'm glad I kept watching, as now I thought the later episodes were better when their background was explained as to why they were as they were, and the sooner the second series starts the better, as I really like it bit of a cliffhanger ending so I would like to know how it pans out.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Hey everyone, I’ve just started watching Umbrella Academy , it’s quite good. I had that Tiffany song stuck in my head for a couple of days though.

Have recently watched the old Sinbad, Clash of the Titans and Jason and the Argonauts movies. Love em.
Did you watch The Golden Voyage of Sinbad amongst them? It's weird seeing a pre-Doctor Who Tom Baker playing a villain. Actually, it was that film that Tom Baker told then-producer Barry Letts to watch as proof of his ability to act.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I watched Isn't It Romantic, an amusing critique on romcoms, although it is itself a romcom. I usually only watch romcoms if they have a shirtless Hemsworth or zombies (this one had the first).

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Isn't the only romcom with zombies Shaun of the Dead? In fact, wasn't it specifically marketed as such? A romcomzom?

Anyway, I've managed to get a hold of the second series of Overlord, and the first few episodes did surprisingly well, considering these episodes adapted one of the weaker books in the series.

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
Did you watch The Golden Voyage of Sinbad amongst them? It's weird seeing a pre-Doctor Who Tom Baker playing a villain. Actually, it was that film that Tom Baker told then-producer Barry Letts to watch as proof of his ability to act.
Hey Quatermass, How you doing? Yes I watched them all. The Golden Voyage is a good one. Patrick Troughton is in The Eye of the Tiger, Have you seen that one? I'll pretty much watch anything with Ray Harryhausen special effects.

Last edited:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Hey Quatermass, How you doing? Yes I watched them all. The Golden Voyage is a good one. Patrick Troughton is in The Eye of the Tiger, Have you seen that one? I'll pretty much watch anything with Ray Harryhausen special effects.
I'm aware Patrick Troughton is in Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger, I just prefer The Golden Voyage of Sinbad. Though to be honest, the latter film does have one major plot hole: how did Margiana, the slave woman, have that eye tattoo or whatever it was that was so significant to the Lemuria natives end up in Marabia?

Actually, in The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse, the Homunculus creatures were actually deliberately done in a stop-motion animation way. In fact, I think the writers actually put in the script that the first Homunculus comes to life in a 'Dynamation way'.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Just watched another episode from the latest series of Doctor Who, and I have to confess, I'm still bored with the series. Which is a crying shame, as Jodie Whittaker is a brilliant Doctor, so she's not the problem. I think it's been the production teams. Steven Moffat should have left the series sooner, and I'm not wholly convinced Chris Chibnall is right for the series. Personally, if I had to pick a showrunner, I'd have picked Mark Gatiss...

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I've just finished watching more of the second series of Overlord...and I'm really enjoying this adaptation of what I think is two of the best books in the series. In fact, they did something really freaky for the ninth episode, when they revealed a little of just how unstable one of the characters is.

You see, one of the characters, Princess Renner, seems like a fairly typical princess from a fairytale, her intelligence and her using an adventurer group to wage war against a criminal cartel notwithstanding. And then, at the end of the episode, after talking about the day's events with her bodyguard (and love interest) Climb (yes, that is his name), she speaks of them to a maid she knows makes fun of Climb, as he was an orphan she found on the streets. And as the strains of the ending credits music play over the scene, while Renner is speaking to the maid rather vapidly...we hear her thoughts: that she wants to murder the maid, as well as anyone else who mocks Climb. We then cut to a flash of an image seen briefly during the normal version of the credits: Renner standing near Climb, with a bloodied blade in her hand and a disturbing look on her face. :eek: If Albedo is the biggest yandere in Overlord, then Renner is her strongest competition...

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
After watching and enjoying, Marvel's Luke Cage, I have now started watching their DareDevil series. I have both season one and two and I am working my way through season one at the moment.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Just watched Alita: Battle Angel. I enjoyed it, but now, I want to re-read the manga series it was based on. It's been years since I've read those...

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I just watched "Split" directed by M Night Shyamalan. I thought it was very good and that James McAvoy was compelling in his role. The girl that played Casey was also incredible. "Unbreakable" is still one of my favourite films and I'm now looking forward to seeing "Glass".

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I found the first series of the reboot of Batttlestar Galactica in a charity shop recently, but didn't have a clue what was happening as it was pivotal to have seen the pilot episode. So I ordered the pilot and watched it and I am now two discs in to the series. I'm liking it a lot more than the old series and I'm very glad they managed to keep the Viper fighter craft from the original (as well as the new version).

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I got caught out with that too Tony, a right pain to have a miniseries that you need to have seen first. Enjoyable though.

User Menu

Newsletter