What if a Discworld RPG game was made?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Burp1

Aug 27, 2019
Something like Baldur's Gate? Something that can give players the chance to experience the world of the Disc in up front POV? Not as in an MMORPG since all the good ideas have been used up in World of Warcraft but a game nevertheless. Should such a game be made?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
This is, I think, something that has been kicked around for many, many years. I don't know what Baldur's Gate is as I am not a gamer. There certainly seems to be an interest in the idea and Terry's daughter is a well known games designer, but it never seems to have kicked off.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Tony, Baldur's Gate is a classic computer role-playing game (CRPG), based on the Dungeons & Dragons world. I've never played it, but it was one of the first CRPGs based on D&D and spawned many, many imitators - World of Warcraft is one of the latest (and hammiest - with lots of people waving their arms theatrically and lots of people shouting NOOOOOO!, and similar tropes of melodrama).

Baldur's Gate, on the other hand, is nothing like that. ;)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
No problem. :)

Coming back to the point of the thread: Burp1, I don't know if you ever played Neverwinter Nights, but someone (I forget who) tried to create an Ankh-Morpork Watch mod for NWN (the first, not the second). In the mod, you can play a new recruit for the Watch.

I tried it, but it bored the pants off of me - probably because of the incongruity of mixing two different gaming systems and two different worlds (Discworld and D&D).

If you want to try it, and you have a copy of NWN, you might find it at the Neverwinter Vault.

If you don't have a copy of NWN, you can find it at Good Old Games. They regularly have game sales, so you might be able to pick up NWN for less than $10 AUS. (I did). ;)

Book of the Month

Good Omens

"Pratchett’s wackiness collaborates with Gaiman’s morbid humour; the result is a humanist delight to be savoured and read again and again."

User Menu

Newsletter