What is next

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Albert_Spangler

Lance-Constable
Feb 5, 2010
Unknown
So, I know that there is another Moist book in the pipeline (something about taxes?) and also another called I shall wear midnight (not sure if this is discworld or not). My question is, what would everyone like to see next?

My personal preference would be a sequel to The Truth with William moving into magazines, or another story involving Mr Nutt as I think he is possibly one of the best charcters for a while.

Albert_Spangler

Lance-Constable
Feb 5, 2010
Unknown
That's true I forgot about that. Television seems good, but I don't think it would be allowed due to the Moving Pictures fiasco. Would be interesting though.

Perhaps a talent show x factor style contest would make an interesting story or an auditorium based big brother style show

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Going by the other demon powered devices on the Disc, maybe someone will invent the Hillman Imp.* :laugh:

*Edit - I just realised that that is not going to mean much to a lot of people here. :p

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I think it was suggested in earlier books that to magic someone or something was initially very hard but thereafter became much easier (Greebo's tranformations between cat and human being just one example). With this in mind, I would like to see Sam Vimes time travel again, the period being the Ankh Morpork Civil War where he would have to take the place of his own ancestor! Terry could have great fun with paradoxes, history, and the moral implications of executing the last King. :twisted: :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I hope that, miracles-of-modern-medicine-willing, Pterry is able to continue to write books that, after finishing the next Moist book that he doesn't do another book about "cultural phenomena" (i.e., Moving Pictures, Soul Music, Unseen Academicals) but instead does another series book, either another Guards book or (since it's a been such a long time) an non-Tiffany witches book. Or something that would combine the two series!

Honestly, any DW books that he's able to write from hereonin will be literary manna from heaven.

J-I-B

Feb 27, 2010
Albert_Spangler said:
That's true I forgot about that. Television seems good, but I don't think it would be allowed due to the Moving Pictures fiasco. Would be interesting though.

Perhaps a talent show x factor style contest would make an interesting story or an auditorium based big brother style show
Why was Moving Pictures a fiasco?

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Just a matter of opinion - Moving Pictures is always in my top 5 if only because of Gaspode starting out there :laugh: I love that book as it gives CMOT full range in the Sam Goldwyn mould - absolute top drawer satire the whole way through - I actually prefer it to Wyrd Sisters and I adore the Witches

ladyramkin

Lance-Constable
Aug 6, 2008
Kent
Penfold said:
I think it was suggested in earlier books that to magic someone or something was initially very hard but thereafter became much easier (Greebo's tranformations between cat and human being just one example). With this in mind, I would like to see Sam Vimes time travel again, the period being the Ankh Morpork Civil War where he would have to take the place of his own ancestor! Terry could have great fun with paradoxes, history, and the moral implications of executing the last King. :twisted: :laugh:
100% agree on this. I'd rather go back than forward in Ankh Morpork's history anyway. It's changing too fast for me, dozy old party that I am.And pleeeeeese, no Big Brother or X Factor. Bad enough in Round World.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Albert_Spangler said:
That is indeed what I meant Sjoerd. I loved moving pictures also, I jusr meant that Vetinari would not allow television.
Why wouldn't he? The Vetinari of Moving Pictures is totally different than the Vetinari of 'today.' During this period, Vetinari allowed the Watch to become powerful and operating outside of his direct control. He allowed not one but two newspapers to be published. He allowed Moist Von Lipwig to print both paper stamps and money. He allowed the dwarves to "undermine" the city. He allowed the clacks system to be set up and run (and ruined) as a privately owned business. He allowed "street football" to become an institutionalized sport. He is clearly a man who understands that progress and capitalism only reinforce AM's leadership in the world, even if this progress comes with the price of looser controls over the flow of information. As long as free speech doesn't lead to excessive, unlicensed disturbance of the peace, he's quite tolerant.

J-I-B

User Menu

Newsletter