What makes a Discworld witch?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Aug 3, 2009
England
Who's Wee Dug
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:32 pm Post subject:
<Witches are there for all the tricky bits- birth, death, judgement, danger. I wish there was a witch living near me!>

Why is that Raspberry.

Sometimes it would be nice to know there was a witch around to sort out some of the wrong 'uns we have to deal with from time to time! :)

Jan 1, 2010
As far as the older witches not doing magic goes I think it reflects the level of expertise they have achieved, their understanding is good enough that they can achieve what needs doing with just a word or a swift knee in the back.

I think its true in most fields that while the young get all excited about new all singing all dancing bits of kit those with experience and a bit of common sense get more done faster without it. Why bother summoning demons etc when you don't have to?

They do guard the edges and take the tough decisions and responsibility for them but I can't help feeling that by doing that they take something away from everyone else - if someone isn't witch material they pretty much assume they're incompetent and its fine for the witches to run their lives for them, thereby ensuring they remain easily led.

GrannyWeatherwax

Lance-Constable
Oct 15, 2009
Sydney, Australia
My take on the Discworld witches is that each one has a fairly defined character which in turn defines them in both their daily life avoiding the use of magic, and in those times when they have to use their magic.

Granny weatherwax avoids using magic by using headology, but when she uses magic it is often borrowing (extreme headology)

Magrat avoids using magic by using natural remedies, and when forced to use magic she uses nature ('growing' cellar doors and accidental pumpkins)

Tiffany's solution to the day to day stuff is to think logically and analytically, but her magical side comes through in her 'third thoughts' because when she uses those she can work out how to do thing that make granny Weatherwax sit back and take notice.

Nanny Ogg's approach is pragmatic and bawdy, and what she knows of human (sexual) nature enables her to avoid magic - unless she really needs a good love potion. knowing human nature so well also means she is the one person who realises when Granny is about to start cackling, so she looks after her old friend.

Miss Tick is a natural teacher so her magical side is her ability to 'detect' a growing witch

I can't go further without re-reading all the witch books and analysing them to death and that would just take the fun out of it all.

but them's me thoughts :)
Sue

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Welcome to the site Granny :laugh: If it doesn't seem to much like analysing it to death, there's a Wyrd Sisters discussion going on you might be interested in ;)

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
heres my opinions of some of the discworld witches:

Cleverest/most manipulative:Granny Weatherwax

Funniest/most entertaining:Nanny Ogg

Best at actual magic:Black Aliss

I love the discworld witches.When i learned the concept of headology I got much better at persuading people to do what I want :laugh:. I think what makes a good discworld witch is one who can manipulate people whilst doing as little magic as possible,the prime example being Granny.

Draywoman

Lance-Constable
Jan 23, 2010
Forest of Dean
I've just read through this for the first time. Tony, what's not to like about Nanny? You wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of her but I can think of dozens like her back in the old East End and they were hilarious :laugh:

Jan 1, 2010
unseenu said:
Best at actual magic:Black Aliss
Is she actually better than Granny though? I'm sure there's a comment somewhere that Granny is getting as good as her?

And welcome to the site Unseenu, hope you like it here :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Draywoman said:
I've just read through this for the first time. Tony, what's not to like about Nanny? You wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of her but I can think of dozens like her back in the old East End and they were hilarious :laugh:
Unfortunately I know someone like her and it's not fun at all. :p

User Menu

Newsletter