What on Middle Earth...?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
OK - no excuses! :twisted:

I've tried very hard not to and keep failing to not mention a certain Trilogy, written by a certain Prof, from a certain famous English Uni - so here's somewhere I (and others) can go to avoid digressing too much elsewhere... ;)

This is an outpost of Arda so to speak, where Elves are nowhere near as nasty as some creatures (though those are rumoured to have been Elves to start with, but that's another story :p ) and Dwarves still have trouble dating, but don't talk about that at all and just go off and work out their frustrations on a Cave Troll (possibly from Koom Valley?)

So anyway - let's start the ball rolling in case no one else wants to and ask the eternally thorny question -

Can Balrogs fly?

*put's hard hat on and retreats behind the nearest boulder... or is it?*

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
:laugh: Is the "eh?" about the Balrog question or why this thread is here in the 1st place Bouncy?

I'll answer without clarification to save time - there's a fair number of Tolkien enthusiasts on this site and I'm possibly the worst of them for mentioning LotR and yakking on about that instead of what the given thread's about - but then a lot of fellow members do that without even having the excuse of literary comparison (well that's my excuse anyway - Chris...?! :p )

Balrogs :twisted: Well let's wait and see... :laugh: For the more serious Tolkien 'lorists' this is a matter of passionate and often vicious dispute so I thought perhaps it might be interesting to have a more relaxed debate on here as we do tend to have more robust and ironic attitudes to grown people arguing about whether something that can only exist in fiction did or didn't have wings (that worked).... :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
:laugh: It told me the future is hazy first of all and then it said it was certain and the 3rd time it was without a doubt... PMSL

Then I asked - do Balrogs have wings - and again it was certain and 2nd try and it said there is no chance :laugh:

Methinks this 8 ball may a load of old crystal balls! 8)

User Menu

Newsletter