what people say about Terry Pratchett...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
When I was discussing Discworld books with my dad yesterday, he described Terry's style of writing as "very thoughtful and philosophic at the beginning until he flicks a switch and goes absulutely berserk". :laugh:
It had me laughing for the next half hour.

Do you know any comments from people you know?

I have heard good comments about his work. Many people have read at least One Discworld book and I mention his name and get "Discworld?" and then reccommend them to use them for surgery recovery, well, in a padded situation.

Met an English bloke who owns the Postal Shoppe where I shipped my package, he knew of TP and I told him that when I find duplicates of my books I shall drop one or two off. He was very pleased. He read a non-discworld book and had vague rememberances. I like that guy, I get my waiver forms from him each year. :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Never found anone who has read any Terry, although I have met a few who don't like his books :rolleyes:

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
The only people i know who have read TP's books are my teacher from when I was 8 (only one year with him unfortunately) who told me about DW when I met him again 10 years later, who said "very good" and my friend Alisa who believed me when I told her about TheColourOfMagic" and after it started reading all of them and she says "genious writings although quite difficult to read in english".
:)

Nov 3, 2009
Finland
I'm sorry to say that I know very few people who have actually read any books by him, and quite many who just don't want to. Their logic just beats me. My dad started reading one book (can't remember which now) and then left it half-read, claiming Pratchett's style was "all very well for young people but I'm too old for it". I was bamboozled.

(I love that word. Now that I thought of it I'll have to go post it in the funny words thread...)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
MissTeatime said:
My dad started reading one book (can't remember which now) and then left it half-read, claiming Pratchett's style was "all very well for young people but I'm too old for it". I was bamboozled.
Well that is wierd, but at least he tried. Not wanting to try, now that's just daft :rolleyes:

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
I met an English teacher once who said "Terry pratchett is a keen observer of the human condition"

My friend who teaches guitar said "I find it difficult to keep up with all Pratchetts books, I suppose its his fault for being so prolithic"

I once got a friend who reads very little to try one of his books and he read for a while and said "that was very strange, what does the turtle have to with it?"

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
theoldlibrarian said:
My friend who teaches guitar said "I find it difficult to keep up with all Pratchetts books, I suppose its his fault for being so prolithic"
What he's really in favour of rocks? :laugh:

(Geology joke. Sorry.)

Apr 29, 2009
London
I read them, pass them to my friend, Mary, and had started to send them to another friend, but they took an age to come back.

Roy likes them in small doses, though he was hysterical at the first one we/he read - Going Postal.

His parter, Lyn, won't touch them.

I've also got Mary's 12 year old grandson into the children's ones, and I thought Eric was OK for him too.

He loves them. He ADORED Where's My Cow and insisted on making every visitor to the house read it as soon as they got in the door.

He also loves the Artemis Fowl books, as do I.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I love Geology. :) Actually, going back to your question about new and emerging writers (on another thread), Sharlene and I have a very good friend who is a geologist and she also writes mystery novels about a geologist. They are excellent. :laugh: The writers name is Susan Cummings Miller and she lives in Tucson.

Moist von Lipwig

Lance-Constable
Jan 21, 2010
Ankh-Morpork
My mother says Terry's writing is "very philosophical and difficult but funny". My best friend used to say that "Terry creates worlds better than Tolkien did".

Only my girlfriend says she will never like Terry, because she doesn't share his sense of humor.

User Menu

Newsletter