Which Discworld novel do you recommend to start at?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

SimStars13

Lance-Corporal
Apr 25, 2010
England
I've introduced three people to the series, and one of them (my dad) had already read a few. He started liking it once I got him to watch and read Going Postal, then Men at arms. My friend said 'she thought Terry Prattchet was too fantastical' but then read Men at Arms and loved it!
Then I told my Gran to read them, but she was suggested to try Soul Music by her library and hated it. Therefore (being someone who dislikes the Susan thread) I would recommend starting with either Guards Guards, Men at Arms or Going Postal.

Dec 22, 2010
Reading/Peterborough
I always suggest Guards Guards..Or Mort actually. Or anywhere but the actual first book. I enjoy the colour of magic immensely, but I don't think it's a good way to get into the series..as Pratchett was still working out the kinks of his new world. Much better to pick up Guards Guards and read of this fully formed amazing world and then go back and look at it in it's infancy once you're indoctrinated.

Tristan

Lance-Corporal
Aug 16, 2009
I think Mort is a good starting point. I gave it as a present to a friend of mine he loved it, then he read Reaper Men and loved that one too, but I don't think he's read others ever since. Ah, he's not that big of a reader.

In general I consider the Death series a great way to start, whether it's Mort, Reaper Men or Soul Music. I think they all have a certain... general quality and appeal to (almost) everyone. I feel it's the perfect combination of Pratchett's humor and insight. (And seriously, is there anyone who DOESN'T love Death? :laugh:)

Maybe Guards! Guards! is also a good book to start at, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone as for me it was a bit disappointing. I enjoyed it, but it's doesn't come anywhere near the brilliance of some of the others. I don't really know why everyone loves it so much. :rolleyes:

Hm, can't think of anything else. Small Gods / Pyramids maybe? Both good reads, they stand alone, so maybe good for a introduction?

Jan 2, 2011
Delsbo, Sweden
I,ve read them all (several times) hard to say which is the best to start with, it depends on who it is that is going to read. Small gods is a good one, mort is amazing, Nightwatch is enthralling, Thud is brilliant, The hogfather is cool (I'm secretly in love with Susan death). Thinking about where to start is just impossible, read them all they all have their appeal, even though witches abroad is my least favorite it is still a really good book. Some are more for adults, some are more boyish, some are a bit on the girly side, so really depends on who the reader is. My favorite characters are Vimes, Rincewind, the feegles, Death (he is just soooooo cool), and last but not least Susan. Probably not been any help, but I had to try :oops: Best to start with one of the earlier books so one can get an introduction to the characters.

Jan 2, 2011
Delsbo, Sweden
Wow everybody seems pleasant here :eek: almost shocking. In our village everybody ignores one another until they have got some booze in them, then they are all best freinds. Your'e not all drunk are you?

btlfannz

Lance-Corporal
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
snowballs said:
Wow everybody seems pleasant here :eek: almost shocking. In our village everybody ignores one another until they have got some booze in them, then they are all best freinds. Your'e not all drunk are you?
Drunk? Drunk? How dare you madam.....mad as a spoon?.... ah, well, quite possibly.

Jan 2, 2011
Delsbo, Sweden
poohcarrot said:
btl's been at the Klatchian coffee again. He's completely knurd! :laugh:
Actually klatchian coffee would be really funny here, sneak it into the punsch and everybody here would stop talking to one another halfway through the party.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
snowballs said:
Not drunk ... running a fever...mortally ill..... thought I would say hello with one of my last coherent thoughts.....

Jan 2, 2011
Delsbo, Sweden
deldaisy said:
snowballs said:
Not drunk ... running a fever...mortally ill..... thought I would say hello with one of my last coherent thoughts.....
Not swine flu I hope, good job that zoonoses dont get transmitted to computers.

Oh yeah get well soon. Ever tried writing or painting when youve got a fever?, it's amazing how the fantasy works when your brains cooking. Only problem is that when your well you dont really understand what it is your looking at.

Jan 2, 2011
Delsbo, Sweden
poohcarrot said:
snowballs said:
Ever tried writing or painting when youve got a fever?, it's amazing how the fantasy works when your brains cooking. Only problem is that when your well you dont really understand what it is your looking at.
Hi snowballs! :p

It's better with magic mushrooms. :laugh:
I agree, we have some of the best mushrooms in the world here, but thats my past life. Wrote the history of bongs once after a rave, it was 8 pages of ununderstandable drivel but fun to write. Fever works the same but better.

Jan 2, 2011
Delsbo, Sweden
poohcarrot said:
Did you get your history of bongs published bacause I'd like to read it? :laugh:
I think one of my freinds kept it but I dont know where she is anymore.

I am writing a book though (not while wasted) one day I will at least try to get it published, trying to write about 500 words a day (or night as due to the neck I only sleep a couple of hours at a time) It's about twins saving the world with the help of gnomes by helping the ghosts find signal free paths to their resting places.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
snowballs said:
I am writing a book though (not while wasted) one day I will at least try to get it published, trying to write about 500 words a day (or night as due to the neck I only sleep a couple of hours at a time) It's about twins saving the world with the help of gnomes by helping the ghosts find signal free paths to their resting places.
Er....nope! I'd rather read about the bongs. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter