Who should play Mustrum Ridcully?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Apr 28, 2011
United Kingdom
Personally I think it should Jeremy Clarkson. Idk i just think they share a lot of the same qualities. Just watch a few episodes of top gear :)

Please post if u agree or disagree or if you think someone else should do it.

I know Ridcully isnt exactly a "major" character but watching Jeremy Clarkson just makes me think he would be a perfect fit for the character lol.

anyway lmk what u think!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site, Digressing! :laugh:

Jeremy Clarkson has acted - sort of. He voiced a character in the British release of the animated film, Cars. But I really don't see him as Ridcully. He's not that good an actor. :)

Having said that, I don't see Brian Blessed as Ridcully either. He's too much over the top. Ridcully appears to be brash and stupid on the surface, but under that he is a lot more complex and really quite smart. Blessed comes across as too aggressive.

Q,I'm kind of surprised that you haven't thought of Tom Baker in the role. ;)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Brian Blessed can be subtle when he wants to. Has NOBODY here seen I, Claudius or Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet? I think Blessed is absolutely perfect for the role of Ridcully.

Whereas Tom Baker is just bats*** crazy. But if I had to choose a member of the Unseen University faculty he could play, well, the Bursar springs to mind, if we can mentally transform the Bursar from a thin scrawny type into a beefy type. I'm trying to think of another character in the series he could play. The voice of Death, maybe? He played a Grim Reaper in the remake of Medievil. Or maybe Om.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Agree with Brian Blessed for the role. Can you just imagine him screaming at the Bursar and Quaffing beers til late in his brash manner. He can actually act as well as Q points out. :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
pip said:
Agree with Brian Blessed for the role. Can you just imagine him screaming at the Bursar and Quaffing beers til late in his brash manner. He can actually act as well as Q points out. :laugh:
Thanks, Pip. :)

I always hear "BUUURR-SAAAAARRR!" in Brian Blessed's voice when I am reading it.

Let's see, ideal Unseen University cast:

Ridcully= Brian Blessed

The Dean= Ian McNiece. Or maybe Colin Baker. Both have the girth, and I reckon that they could both summon up the immature petulance for the role.

Rincewind= Mackenzie Crook, or, at a pinch, David Tennant. I personally reckon Mackenzie Crook'd make a better Rincewind, though.

Ponder Stibbons= Uhhh, tough one, actually. Arthur Darvill, maybe? Or Sam Troughton?

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I think I would go with Q's first choice of Tom Baker as the Bursar. :laugh:

A bit controversial maybe, but I think I would go down the typecasting route for Ponder and cast Daniel Radcliffe in the role. I'm guessing Ponder is still quite young since he graduated during, or just after, Moving Pictures. ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Penfold said:
I'm guessing Ponder is still quite young since he graduated during, or just after, Moving Pictures. ;)
Which was some time ago. I imagine him to be mid-thirties at the youngest. He probably looks like Peter Kay, but he needs to sound more intellectual (although I should really stick up for the Bolton accent).

Apr 28, 2011
United Kingdom
Tonyblack said:
Welcome to the site, Digressing! :laugh:

Jeremy Clarkson has acted - sort of. He voiced a character in the British release of the animated film, Cars. But I really don't see him as Ridcully. He's not that good an actor. :)

Having said that, I don't see Brian Blessed as Ridcully either. He's too much over the top. Ridcully appears to be brash and stupid on the surface, but under that he is a lot more complex and really quite smart. Blessed comes across as too aggressive.

Q,I'm kind of surprised that you haven't thought of Tom Baker in the role. ;)
thats the reason why i think jeremy would be a good ridcully not because he's a good actor but because he wouldnt have to do too much acting to be him. Jeremy also appears to be brash and stupid but is actually smart if he wants to be. theres also that competitive streak to think about lol. Of course this is just my humble opinion :p

also many thanks for all the welcomes :)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I'd vote for Michael Gambon. His Dumbledore was a bit too mellow, but he can do bluster and imbecility as good as anyone when he wants to.

Were he still alive and a foot taller, Leo McKern would have made a great Ridcully.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
raisindot said:
I'd vote for Michael Gambon. His Dumbledore was a bit too mellow, but he can do bluster and imbecility as good as anyone when he wants to.

Were he still alive and a foot taller, Leo McKern would have made a great Ridcully.
I agree regarding Leo McKern. His Number Two from The Prisoner was well done. :)

Feb 27, 2010
When I was watching Hogfather, the chap who played Ridcully (was it Timothy West) reminded me of Brian Blessed. It is something about the voice. I think Brian Blessed would be perfect for the role. He definitely has a commanding aura.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Rincewind-Type of cheese? said:
When I was watching Hogfather, the chap who played Ridcully (was it Timothy West) reminded me of Brian Blessed. It is something about the voice. I think Brian Blessed would be perfect for the role. He definitely has a commanding aura.
Joss Ackland played Ridcully in Hogfather, but Timothy West did play Ridcully in Going Postal.

User Menu

Newsletter