Who should play Mustrum Ridcully?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

David Brown

Lance-Corporal
Jul 4, 2011
West Sussex
Quatermass said:
Whereas Tom Baker is just bats*** crazy. But if I had to choose a member of the Unseen University faculty he could play, well, the Bursar springs to mind, if we can mentally transform the Bursar from a thin scrawny type into a beefy type.
I don't see him going potty because Ridcully makes him nervous, though, which is, surely, the reason for the Bursar's reliance on dried frog pills?
jaeger said:
Dunno about Ridcully but I could see Nicholas Lyndhurst as Rincewind . . . I guess though that's kinda type casting from the Rodney in Only Fools and Horses and Adam in Butterflies. But also for his tall and gangly appearance.
Now he's not so young, I could see him as the Bursar.
Quatermass said:
Nicholas Lyndhurst? Well, I did see him as Uriah Heep in David Copperfield, and he might work. Does anyone thing David Tennant is too handsome to play Rincewind? I mean, he has the running and thin thing down.

Other alternatives? Well, someone mentioned Mackenzie Crook at one stage, didn't they? On this board, I mean. Or maybe Bruce Spence?

I think that David Jason was a good Rincewind in that he had the personality if not the looks.
I could see David Tennant as the Bursar, if aged up a bit, same with Mackenzie Crook, although, yes, I can see Crook as Rincewind, easily, but I still favour David Thewlis.

Surely Bruce Spence is (a) too old, and (b) more likely to be found in Bugarup University? With his height, he could also play Death without lifts in his shoes, however.

I disagree with you about David Jason.

ramtopsman

Lance-Corporal
Aug 19, 2010
manchester
www.youtube.com
Might just have to wait until UU to find out if it will be david jason =/

(Sorry i honestly dont see him as rincewind (NOT DUE TO AGE) (his age was never mentioned in the 1st two books)

I would like to see Chris O'Dowd just a shame ive never heard an english accent by him

Or maybe a previous pratchett movie goer Ian Bonar (With a beard ofcourse)

Will think of some more

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
ramtopsman said:
Might just have to wait until UU to find out if it will be david jason =/

(Sorry i honestly dont see him as rincewind (NOT DUE TO AGE) (his age was never mentioned in the 1st two books)

I would like to see Chris O'Dowd just a shame ive never heard an english accent by him

Or maybe a previous pratchett movie goer Ian Bonar (With a beard ofcourse)

Will think of some more
But Rincewind's age was mentioned (sort of) in Colour of Magic.

In the bit where he and Twoflower find themselves aboard a plane, Rincewind is described as Dr. Rjinswand, a 33 year old bachelor, born in Sweden and raised in New Jersey.*

*Reference from the New Discworld Companion

User Menu

Newsletter