Who was Terry thinking about...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
When Terry wrote Thud! and introduced the curator of the Art Gallery, was he thinking of Brian Sewell?

I must admit he was who I thought of when I read it. :laugh:

The video is worth watching as Sewell is such a pompous arse. ;)

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
THAT VIDEO LASTS FOR OVER 4 MINUTES!

After 30 seconds I realised he was a pompous arse. I'm not going to watch the next four minutes of him arsing around pompously! :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And I thought you were actually talking about Brian Somebodyorother, a football commentator - there are actually more tedious pompous prats around than you'd think. :twisted:

I do know this Sewell chaps now I know who you mean and he makes everything he talks about dull :p

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The funny thing was I was watching the BBC iPlayer and they had a program about TV experts. They had interviewed Brian and he was rubbishing all these experts such as Magnus Pike, Patrick Moore and David Bellamy saying that they had only been chosen because they were buffoons so people would laugh at them.

Try looking in the mirror sometime Brian. :laugh:

Can you imagine Fred Colon and Nobby meeting this guy? ;)

Nov 9, 2011
He's certainly the best candidate that I'm aware of. I didn't even know one could get quite like that, but then, it takes all sorts. One thing though: he doesn't look at the camera with his nostrils. And you can occasionally understand what he says. But he has the pompous thing down pat.

Nov 22, 2011
In all fairness Brian Sewell is terrifically knowledgeable about his subject - and can be very funny - that's not to say that I agree with his opinions mind

Nov 22, 2011
I have long nurtured a hope that Sir Terry would write a discworld novel satirising the art establishment - it is ripe for it - I can just see CMOT Dibbler purveying dodgy modern art "Its not an actual meat pie - more a conceptual one" and the nobility clutching their pearls over anything abstract "Don't call that art, looks like a Johnny with two heads - what?"

Nov 22, 2011
Oberon said:
I read that Sir T pictured Pete Poselthwaite when he created Sam Vimes and that he would like Alan Rickman to play Lord Vetinari.
Exactly who I have in mind when I read him (Rickman I mean - I always hear Vimes as Philip Jackson on account of the radio production

Oberon

Lance-Corporal
Dec 28, 2011
Leeds, West Yorkshire.
Jan Van Quirm said:
Alan Rickman would be brilliant as Vetinari - even more brilliant than Charles Dance, certainly than Jeremy Irons. :laugh:
Of course it could be said that Rickman has been playing Vetinari for years in his portrayal of Snape in the Harry Potter films.

Jan 13, 2012
South florida, US
www.youtube.com
Actually, i kept picturing Beakman's Charles Goodyear as the Curator, mainly because thats how stephen briggs made him sound. :laugh:

(I tried to find a clip, but sadly no english one exists online unless you have netflix. season 4 ep 7)

to be honest. i always liked the Curator. Never thought of him as an arse.

User Menu

Newsletter