Why Are The US Discworld Book Covers Absolute Pants?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Sybil looks like evil. He should have drawn her wearing her Grandmother's tweed jacket. And Carrot doesn't look very manly either. And Death is wearing red!!!

I suppose we all have our ideas of what they should look like. I could never forgive Josh Kirby for drawing Twoflower with four eyes.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
poohbcarrot said:
Who's the babe on the back of Binky? And who's the pointy-eared elf smoking a pipe? Were there any elves in Reaperman? :laugh:
The guy with the pipe is, I think, Modo. The guy in the coffin is Windle Poons, I have no idea about the girl on Binky - surely not Miss Flitsworth. :eek:

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
In the picture, Carrot's too thin and Ramkin's too evil, but carrot did wear a Protective, and Ramkin did wear a ginger wig and low-cut nightgown.

I'm pretty sure the guy smoking the pipe is Modo. Didn't he smoke a pipe to protect himself from the smell of his glowing compost?

The girl on Binky could be Ms. Flitworth after she died. Didn't she revert to a younger version of herself, or am I getting her mixed up with the witch who died in Soul Music?

And why should you be angry at the cover artist for drawing four eyes when the character in the book has four eyes? I was more annoyed with Pratchett for getting a little carried away making Twoflower seem strange and exotic.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
kakaze said:
And why should you be angry at the cover artist for drawing four eyes when the character in the book has four eyes? I was more annoyed with Pratchett for getting a little carried away making Twoflower seem strange and exotic.
It was a misunderstanding apparently. Terry meant that Twoflower was wearing glasses - no one in A-M had seen them before so that's how they described Twoflower. Josh took Terry literally and drew him with four actual eyes. :laugh:

Annotations on LSpace said:
- [p. 16/16] "[...] found himself looking up into a face with four eyes in it."

On the covers of the first two Discworld books, Josh Kirby actually drew Twoflower with four physical eyes. Consensus on alt.fan.pratchett has it that Terry was trying to get across the fact that Twoflower was wearing glasses ('four-eyes' being a common insult thrown at bespectacled folks), but that Josh Kirby simply triggered on the literal text and went off in a direction of his own. Whether this action essentially shows Kirby's interpretative genius (the KirbyFan explanation) or his inability to get the joke / read very carefully (the NonKirbyFan explanation) is a matter still under discussion.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I think you're right pooh - or at least not the Josh Kirby UK cover pic as there Erlking's different (those horns are more bullish than a stag's rack which are definitely on the UK copy)

Checked! :laugh: definitely not the same cover as UK - that has Nanny & Casanunda on the title side and Erlking's on the spine complete with antlers and shaggy goaty legs and much more macho than portly... *goes to shower*
I'm not sure the non-Kidby covers are Kirby's actually - the women aren't quite right for him and the palette's off somehow as well?

Jul 20, 2009
Lelystad, The Netherlands
I find it very interesting that the UK covers are different (or at least the Lords and Ladies cover) I always assumed they were the same now it turns out that the Dutch cover is unique! ;)

How about the Men at arms cover? is it the same as the UK one?

User Menu

Newsletter