Witches casting

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Oct 19, 2010
England
Sorry if this has been done a thousand times. What are the general thoughts on the perfect witch castings?

I know someone mentioned dawn french as nanny ogg... maggie smith as weatherwax? Or is that a bit obvious? Judie dench? (Even more so??)

Magrat = Anne marie duff for sure. Perfect I reckon!

:laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Hi. welcome to the site bdrfisher.

Topic is one of those fun ones so I don't think anyone would mind a rehash.

So hard to see beyond Maggie Smith but the other two are more up for debate. :laugh:

Oct 19, 2010
England
Thanks pip :)

Maggie smith does seem the obvious choice. She's just perfect really. Sharp, witty but with a twinkle in her eye.

Nanny ogg I think is the one that really has to be right, for me at any rate.

The reason I think Marie anne duff would be so spot on for Magrat is because she has that pretty but washed out look which I think Magrat has.

This is the trouble though really isn't it. It's really hard for an adaptation to please everybody and dodgy castings could be a make or break for people who already have an idea of what the characters look like ;)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Nanny is the difficulty because of her importance.
Oddly enough if it was cast it could end up with an absolute unknown born just for that role.

Terry did point out that everyone knows an old lady just like her. :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Maggie Smith has the right 'prim' for Granny, but she lacks the 'menace' that Granny requires. Which is why I'd instead nominate Sian Phillips of "I, Claudius" fame (if she's still alive) for the role.

J-I-B

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
raisindot said:
Maggie Smith has the right 'prim' for Granny, but she lacks the 'menace' that Granny requires. Which is why I'd instead nominate Sian Phillips of "I, Claudius" fame (if she's still alive) for the role.

J-I-B
Interesting. But shes getting on in years.

fizzlefi

Sep 29, 2010
I would go for Kate Winslet for Magrat. I get the impression that Magrat is supposed to be in her thirties. As for the pale, washed out look, they can use make up. Look at Charlize Theron in Monster or Cameron Diaz in Being John Malkovich.

I think Maggie Smith would be the best for Granny. What about Tina Malone for Nanny Ogg?

Any suggestions for Agnes Nitt?

Oct 19, 2010
England
Thank you for all the welcomes, what a nice bunch you lot are! :laugh:

Who said Pam ferris? I like that idea. Also Miriam margoyles, hasn't thought of either of them two and they'd both be great.

Fingers crossed a witches adaptation is tackled soon then eh? :)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Kate Winslet really too pretty pretty for Magrat (and probably far too voluptuous too ;) ). When we've done this before Jane Horrocks (Bubbles from Ab Fab & Little Voice) or Emma Chambers (Alice in Vicar of Dibley) have been popular choices.

I think Helen Mirren would make a great Granny - she's definitely got a nasty streak and also Granny's flawless skin and perky tootsies :p Afraid Maggie Smith got too strong an association with HP now so she can't do Granny with as much integrity now (Prof McGonagle's too much a Granny 'type' really - that woman's sooo derivative!)

Happy with Pam Ferris or Miriam Margolyes as Nanny Ogg although again Miriam's the botany teacher at Hogwarts... :rolleyes:

User Menu

Newsletter