WOWWW

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
A

Anonymous

LINK DELETED

TERRY PRATCHETT ORIGINAL DEATH PICTURE (PAINTING)

You are bidding on a very rare Acrylic painting.This is one of Terry Pratchett's legendary heroes "Death".The painting is very detailed.The painting is original there are no reproductions of it.The item is signed on the side direct form the artist "TRASHER".Terry Pratchett is one of the most famous Fantastic writers!
It's form a very popular Bulgarian Artist.The picture is made on cotton.
The size of the painting is 38x45sm.

Terry Pratchett's profoundly irreverent novels are consistent number one bestseller in England, where they have catapulted him into the highest echelons of parody next to Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, Douglas Adams, and Carl Hiaasen.

In this Discworld installment, Death comes to Mort with an offer he can't refuse -- especially since being, well, dead isn't compulsory.As Death's apprentice, he'll have free board and lodging, use of the company horse, and he won't need time off for family funerals. The position is everything Mort thought he'd ever wanted, until he discovers that this perfect job can be a killer on his love life.

The web-site of the artist is:
www.tra2z.com

The item has NO RESERVE !

I ACCEPT PAYMENTS WITH PAYPAL.
THE SHIPPING IS INSURED.
HAPPY BIDDING AND THANK YOU FOR LOOKING. I WELCOME YOU TO VISIT MY AUCTION FOR MORE UNIQUE ITEMS.

---------------

NOTICE:

Yesterday this thread (and a bunch of others) were posted about the sale on eBay of an "original" artwork that was clearly a copy of one of Paul Kidby's illustrations - without giving any credit to Paul at all.

I contacted Paul Kidby and got the following reply:

Paul Kidby said:
Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for alerting me to this. I think its rather cheeky of the person to copy my art and try to sell it without reference to me.

I will send the person an email vie ebay. Perhaps you could let people know on your site that it is not legitimate to make direct copies of other peoples artwork and sign it off as your own, and that I do not approve!

All the very best,

Paul
Fan art is one thing, but trying to sell that work as your own original art is a no-no - especially on a Pratchett site!

Tony

Thanks to Who's Wee Dug for drawing this to my attention. ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I'm confused - who posted this thread? The same trasher that's trying to sell the copied paintings on ebay? o_O Or is it our Tony in disguise? Or has Tony written on someone else's post?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
This Trasher person posted a link to his eBay sale on every single forum on the board along with a link to it.

I deleted all but one of them, removed the link to the sale and added my comments for doing so along with Paul Kidby's response to my email. Hope that makes it clearer. ;)

Note - this happened waaaay back in May.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Not having seen the picture all I can say going by what Tony's done is that the painting is effectively a forgery especially as he's claiming it's his.

Paul's a really generous person and he is in fact more than happy to give permission to use his work provided it's for a non-profit purpose and you cite him with full credit as the artist. When I was building the new site I approached him and the Josh Kirby Estate for permission to use their respective work as banner/header art and he replied almost immediately with permission and good wishes - if we do ever have a Discworld roleplay forum then I was looking to use something that people would recognise. The Kirby estate also responded more than positively though several weeks afterwards and have offered to provide better quality digital files for us to use if we do get to the stage where we can support a dedicated forum for Discworld. Here's what it may look like....

which is a simple scan from my copy of Eric that I played with slightly. Most artists are quite happy to give permission for people to use their work online provided you ask first or, if it's something your selling, seek a licence from them before going ahead (in other words a commission rate or contractual cut of any profits) - my site partners got permission from LotR (also the conceptual artists for the movies) John Howe and Ted Naismith for their site art. A very little bit of courtesy and acknowledgement goes a long way and for the artists it's a good way to put their work out to a larger audience so it's almost like a loss leader for them in a way - nobody pays or makes a profit except in terms of recognition and goodwill :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Jan Van Quirm said:
Not having seen the picture all I can say going by what Tony's done is that the painting is effectively a forgery especially as he's claiming it's his.
That was it exactly - if I remember correctly it was the picture of Death with a small kitten. There was no mention of Paul's name anywhere either here on the board or on his eBay sale. :)

pocimop

Lance-Constable
Feb 21, 2010
Hi All

New member and probably a bit late in posting on this thread but with regards to this picture I have the original hanging on my wall. So anyone trying to pass one off as genuine should be hung drawn and quartered. There is one slight difference to the ones you might see advertised and that is the fact Paul Kidby signed it for me before sending it.

Regards

User Menu

Newsletter