Wrong Terry!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
Let me tell you a very strange story that happened to me today.As I mentioned a while ago on another thread years ago I was given a copy of Terry's Carpe Jugulum but never got around to reading it.

Today i hit on the idea that it might be in my parent's old wardrobe so I asked permission to have a look through.After hours of trawling through dusty bags and long forgotten mouldy toys i came across a fantasy novel by a man called Terry...but not the one I was looking for! :eek:

I found a book called "The Sword of Shannara" by someone called Terry Brooks,from a cursory glance it looks like one of the countless tolkien clones of the 80's that Pratchett hated so much.Even though it wasnt what I was looking for it was still a very interesting find and i'm looking forward to reading it.

Has anyone ever heard of this Terry Brooks?

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
o_O: Well there is currently a rather well-used thread with a Terry Brooks connection after a load of fans from his forum invaded this one... :laugh:

I agree about the Sword of Shannara - very Tolkien derivative, but TB went on to write some more original and rather good fantasy books in a more original vein. His Landover series in particular is good fun ;)

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
We did not INVADE. We CONQUERED. j/k. Give it a read and while the first book in that trilogy is derivative of Tolkien, the rest get better and he drastically shifts focus in the rest of the series. Also, I second Landover. Cheers.

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
its a consipiracy! there must be a secret society called something like The Guild of Fantasy writers called Terry.Every Terry who has ever written a book is a member and they are all working together to influence the history of literature and by extension because stories have so much power control the world.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
If you start writing fantasy they make you change your name. If you write chick lit you have to be called "Jane". If you write sci-fi on the other hand, you can't go wrong with a middle initial.

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
unseenu said:
Has anyone ever heard of this Terry Brooks?
Oh I loved that book, the Sword of Shannara, my first love... *sigh* happy memories, I found it in the library and took it. After that, I bought the Sword book and all his other books, and started reading fantasy no-stop...The only sad thing is that I don't have the English(original) version, I'd really like that

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
Crysania,

If you mention this to the forum over at TBF, there might be someone who is willing to lend you a copy. I'd lend you an extra english translation if I had one but I only have a rather large 25th anniversary hardback version.

I know there are tons of members at TBF that have numerous copies. I am sure someone there would be willing to mail you a copy.

Cheers.

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
Fizz said:
Crysania,

If you mention this to the forum over at TBF, there might be someone who is willing to lend you a copy. I'd lend you an extra english translation if I had one but I only have a rather large 25th anniversary hardback version.

I know there are tons of members at TBF that have numerous copies. I am sure someone there would be willing to mail you a copy.

Cheers.
Really? I think I'll try :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter