Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music animated

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
:laugh:

I couldn't find dedicated thread on this, just bits and bobs. I watched my Wyrd Sisters DVD for the first time last night and loved it, I think, way more than the Sky adaptations, which I still liked.

It was so faithful and funny and exciting. My other half loved it as well, mainly the accents, she was in hysterics. Granny and Nanny were acted perfectly, at first I wasn't convinced my Jane Horrocks as Magrat but she grew on me. I loved Granny's borrowing-vision, the demon, Chrysoprase, Librarian!

The only negative points I can think of are the same that I have toward most animation where score isn't the #1 priority, it felt a bit quiet in that way that cartoons can get sometimes when not much is happening between scenes and dialogue. Fool's past seemed revealed a bit too early, but as it was done in parts on TV it was, I suppose doe as clues for people to grasp onto for the next episode.

Can wait to see my Soul Music DVD that I also won on ebay a few days ago and that should arrive soon.

Anyone else seen these? Opinions?

Apr 29, 2009
London
Got a feeling I gave them to a friend for her grandson.

I'm trying my best to convert him!!

I'll ask and see if I can get them back for a re-watch at some stage.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I've seen 'em both in DVD form.

I can't say I was overly impressed. Soul Music in particular didn't work for me. It just made the whole story look like a bad mid-70s Rankin Bass cartoon.

Wyrd Sisters was better, but I wasn't overly enthralled by it. I guess for me the cartoon format kind of accentuates the fact that the DW stories are fantasy...makes them less "real" if that makes sense.

But both of these were far better than the "live action" version of Hogfather, which was just deathly dull and slow moving. Never thought I'd be bored by a DW adaptation.

I really wish they would release Going Postal in US-compatible format. It'd be nice to see an adaptation that has some life in it.

Apr 29, 2009
London
Q.

If your DVD player will play Region 2, I can always get them, and send them onto you.

We can come to some arrangement about payment.

SAY NOTHING, THE REST OF YOU!! :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Bouncy Castle said:
Q.

If your DVD player will play Region 2, I can always get them, and send them onto you.

We can come to some arrangement about payment.

SAY NOTHING, THE REST OF YOU!! :laugh:
:eek: :eek: :eek:

User Menu

Newsletter