You Brits looking for a yank-bashing Yank author?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Thank you all for your kind suggestions of British comic novelists.

In return, I offer you Brits the name of one of my favorite American comic novelists whose specialty is depicting the bad, the ugly, and the redneck in American society.

His name is Tim Dorsey, and he's written 12 novels featuring his heroic anti-hero, Serge Storms, a ADD-prone serial killer and his slovenly stoner side kick, Coleman. Serge is a morally uprighteous killer; he only does away with people (like drug dealers, thugs, corporate polluters, racists, jetski riders, rednecks) who deserve to be removed the gene pool and does it in extremely inventive, Rube Goldberg-like ways. Think of him as "Dexter" without a conscience.

The books are full of sex, violence, stoner humor, and lacerating satires of Florida lowlifes and are generally hilarious if you don't take them seriously. His books include:

Florida Roadkill
Hammerhead Ranch Hotel
Atomic Lobster
Gator-a-go-go

...and many more.

J-I-B

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
dont to things like that it costs me a bloody fortune and i get bollockings of the mrs :laugh:

if you want to say an authors good please say it quietly so i dont notice and get in the cache with the mrs :laugh: :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Who's Wee Dug said:
Who publishes him,raisindot. o_O: I may check him out as I have a lot of American authors in my collection.
Harper Collins.

Visit his site at www.timdorsey.com for more information. He also has several very hilarious Youtube videos to promote the books.

And, in the interests of full disclosure, I'm the "owner" of the officially approved Tim Dorsey forum on Yahoo Groups, "Serge's Florida Funhouse."

J-I-B

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
poohcarrot said:
I love Dave Barry. :p

Mind you, the novel he did I didn't rate much.
He's written two (by himself), "Big Trouble" and "Tricky Business."

Both are basically Carl Hiassen ripoffs, down to the character-by-character epilogues at the end. I'd read all of his non-fiction first before reading these because they're not his best effort.

J-I-B

Apr 29, 2009
London
chris.ph said:
dont to things like that it costs me a bloody fortune and i get bollockings of the mrs :laugh:

if you want to say an authors good please say it quietly so i dont notice and get in the cache with the mrs :laugh: :laugh:
When I've read them, (the two that I've ordered, and when Mary, my good friend has read them) give me a nudge, and I'll send them to you!!! :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter