What have you seen recently? 3

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I recently gave in and tried watching Braveheart, just to see what all the fuss was about. Dreadful film. By the end of it, I was hoping that they'd do to Mel Gibson what they did to William Wallace (including the emasculation). >;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Today I watched Ant Man, which was a hoot! And Logan which wasn't.

I did enjoy Ant Man and thought it was a good addition to the Marvel Universe. Logan though, was very dark. Without a doubt the best of the Logan/Wolverine trilogy, and possibly the best X-Men spin-off. It was brutal, and bloody, but also extremely good.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Tonyblack said:
Mel Gibson is very loose with facts. In his film Apocalypso (sp) had the natives dying of smallpox BEFORE the Europeans arrived.
My goodness! I wonder how that is possible. *snerk* Now I'm glad I never watched "Apocalypto". (Although, Tony, I like your version better - it's the end of the world, but with Calypso music!) *G*

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
I didn't mind Pacific Rim.The story line didn't bother me, the Australian accents made me cringe though. I am interested in seeing Guillermo del Toro's latest movie The Shape Of Water.

Don't get me started on Mel Gibson's bullsh*t.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I watched Blade 2 last night. Really good sequel. I was amused to see Danny John Jules (Cat from Red Dwarf) playing one of the vampires. At least he's used to talking with prosthetic fangs.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
I watched Blade 2 last night. Really good sequel. I was amused to see Danny John Jules (Cat from Red Dwarf) playing one of the vampires. At least he's used to talking with prosthetic fangs.
I'm surprised he, along with his castmates, are STILL doing Red Dwarf. I've gone off the series.

Anyway, I've been watching more of Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, and recently watched an episode where a history teacher fights King Arthur (who is a girl in this franchise: the Nasuverse plays around with history as much as Mel Gibson does, though the end result is far more interesting). You'd think that it'd be the history teacher that comes off second best, but, well, he's an ex-assassin, and he has Medea enhancing his strength, speed, and durability, so...let's just say that it's one of the best fight scenes in the series, despite the one-sidedness, especially with the music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziBAZuFabEw

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Who is Wee Dug said:
Tonyblack said:
Tony the 3rd and final one is quite quite good as well.
I'll keep an eye open for that one. I get most of my DVDs from charity shops.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
Who is Wee Dug said:
Tonyblack said:
Tony the 3rd and final one is quite quite good as well.
I'll keep an eye open for that one. I get most of my DVDs from charity shops.
What, like Oxfam? Does the UK have a major secondhand/pawn shop franchise? Only, I get a lot of my DVDs and Blu-Rays cheap from the Aussie secondhand shop franchise Cash Converters.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
RathDarkblade said:
Cash Converters are not bad, but don't always have what you're looking for (like all second hand stores).
True, but it's always worth a look. Hell, many of my anime boxsets and movies, I got cheap there. When one of my discs of Neon Genesis Evangelion got damaged (and by this point, it was no longer being sold in retail), I managed to find a replacement cheap at Cash Converters, and it's also where I got a boxset of the original adaptation of Fate/Stay Night.

Nov 21, 2010
Tonyblack said:
Today I watched Ant Man, which was a hoot! And Logan which wasn't.

I did enjoy Ant Man and thought it was a good addition to the Marvel Universe. Logan though, was very dark. Without a doubt the best of the Logan/Wolverine trilogy, and possibly the best X-Men spin-off. It was brutal, and bloody, but also extremely good.
Agreed! X

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Menu

Newsletter