What have you seen recently? 3

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
I saw IT at the cinema today. I thought it was ok. Pennywise was as great as I hoped and the kids were really good as well. The special effects were well done. I liked the little nods to his other books, eg, the Christine car on one ( I forget which) of the kids tshirt. There was some point at the end I thought it might be getting a bit silly. I'm chuffed that there'll be another movie.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Sister Jennifer said:
I saw IT at the cinema today. I thought it was ok. Pennywise was as great as I hoped and the kids were really good as well. The special effects were well done. I liked the little nods to his other books, eg, the Christine car on one ( I forget which) of the kids tshirt. There was some point at the end I thought it might be getting a bit silly. I'm chuffed that there'll be another movie.
It's basically a story in two (interweaving) halves. The first is the kids when they're kids, the second is when they're adults. They'll probably adapt the second half for the next one.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Incidentally, I've been on a binge of Red vs Blue. For those not in the know, that's a machinima series (that is, something created using a video game engine) based on the Halo franchise, depicting the misadventures of two opposing military squads in a strategically useless box canyon. Oh, and it's funny as hell.

Here's the trailers for the first couple of series...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22jw24SSc7g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvrPXQWPs4c

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Who is Wee Dug said:
I went to see Thor: Ragnarok quite enjoyable, good sound track liked the Led Zeppelin's (immigrant song) fitted right into the film like it was especially scored for it.
I went to see it as well. I'm a bit of a sucker for super hero movies. I thought it was really good escapism with some interesting twists. The Cate Blanchett character was awesome!

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Tonyblack said:
Who is Wee Dug said:
I went to see Thor: Ragnarok quite enjoyable, good sound track liked the Led Zeppelin's (immigrant song) fitted right into the film like it was especially scored for it.
I went to see it as well. I'm a bit of a sucker for super hero movies. I thought it was really good escapism with some interesting twists. The Cate Blanchett character was awesome!
Me too Tony, it's like a visual feast of the old comics Marvel and DC, going to check out the Justice League next week giving it a few days or so for the crowds to die down.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It has been literally years since I went to the cinema. Last one before this one was Lincoln which I saw in Tucson. I did what I used to do and went to the half past two showing. Only cost £4 and there were about ten people in there.

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
I'm not that big into superhero movies but I'd like to see Ragnarok. Taika Watiti, the director, is one of my all time favourite human beings.

I've seen the new Blade Runner. I was incredibly excited to see it and it was quite good but, I don't know. If you know what I mean?

I've been watching Westworld when I can, which I do like.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I just got back from watching the new Star Wars film. I really enjoyed it. I was sort of worried that it might be a remake of Empire Strikes Back, but it wasn't really. Lots of surprise moments in there and plot twists. I saw the 10:15 am showing with hardly anyone else there and only cost £4.

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
Oh, it’s the bit where Bernard goes to the cinema and buys popcorn and then asks the guy why he has no money?

I’ve recently seen the new Star Wars and Murder On The Orient Express both of which I really liked.

Have been trying to watch S2 of Stranger Things but I keep falling asleep.

For a laugh I’ve caught a couple of eps of Alan Partridge.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
SJen, what is Murder on the Orient Express like? *curious*

I'm a big Christie fan, and I saw two different treatments of this film - one with Alfred Molina as Poirot, and one (more recent) with David Suchet as Poirot. What's the new one like? From what I saw, it looks like they've given Poirot a hugely extravagant moustache which reminds me of old-fashioned melodrama. Is the rest of the film as melodramatic as that moustache? ;)

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
Hey Rath, here are my thoughts on Murder On The Orient Express. I'm a long time Christie fan and I love David Suchet's Poirot the best. However, let's move on, You know Kenneth Branagh the actor/director? He's Poirot in the film and the director (stop it). I've been a big fan of his for ages as well. Look at the youtube trailer. How do you make a film about a murder that most people know who the murderer is? You make it exceptionally beautiful & well cast, actors that can tell a story. It's these things but most importantly remember how terribly sad it all is? Don't worry about the moustache, it fits in well.

Go see it on the big screen ; )

And Happy New Year.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Hmm, I've seen the trailers and such... I wasn't too sure. From the trailers, it looks like they put in some action scenes (I think at one point, either the train or a person is hanging off a cliff or some such? I don't remember. I think the trailers also show someone escaping the train and running away?) Anyway, the whole 'action' thing didn't really sit well with me, because nothing like that ever happens in the book. ;)

Does anything like this happen in the film?

Happy new year to you too! :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I just watched the film version of one of my favourite books - Markus Zusak's The Book Thief. The film version is wonderful and really managed to capture the feel of the book. The acting was incredible - especially the young actress who played Liesel (Sophie Nelisse). Highly recommended!

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Sister Jennifer said:
The action bits amount to about ten minutes. Don’t worry about it. Also the avalanche hits the train when it’s going around a precipice type thing.
Whoops! It looks like I missed your reply, SJen. :- Fair enough, if the action bits are just ten minutes, I can sit through that. :) I'll see if MOTOE is playing in a theatre near me and when. Thanks! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Menu

Newsletter