Where's My Cow?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
I love it how in thud Terry says that in WMC,"The author was writing from the racked depth of their souls,"when he is the author :laugh: :laugh:

Also I like the idea of giving this book to kids,if they read it while they are young then when they grow up they'll see references to one of their favourite childhood stories when they read Discworld.

There may however be concern over a generation of kids who go around shouting "Bugrit!"

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Kis? I spent a week muttering "Bugrit!" while mulling over computer searches on clients records during a temp assignment after reading DW.

Trouble was it was a very elegant corporate office and I kept getting side looks from the manager. I had to finally explain the whole DW thing :oops: I don't think he got it, and with a great deal of willpower I went back to mumbling "Hmmmm".

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
unseenu said:
I love it how in thud Terry says that in WMC,"The author was writing from the racked depth of their souls,"when he is the author :laugh: :laugh:

Also I like the idea of giving this book to kids,if they read it while they are young then when they grow up they'll see references to one of their favourite childhood stories when they read Discworld.

There may however be concern over a generation of kids who go around shouting "Bugrit!"
I would be ecstatic if the kids 'round here only shouted "bugrit" instead of what they normally shout! :p

Tonyblack said:
I got addicted to the wossname, parrot in Eric and kept saying "wossname" all the time. :oops:
I still use "wossname" when I can't think of a word, and for some reason "oojimaflip" when describing an item. I have absolutely no idea where that one came from and still wonder why I get strange looks when I say it. :laugh:

Penfold said:
unseenu said:

I would be ecstatic if the kids 'round here only shouted "bugrit" instead of what they normally shout! :p

Tonyblack said:
I got addicted to the wossname, parrot in Eric and kept saying "wossname" all the time. :oops:
I still use "wossname" when I can't think of a word, and for some reason "oojimaflip" when describing an item. I have absolutely no idea where that one came from and still wonder why I get strange looks when I say it. :laugh:
I used to say oojimaflip a lot when I was a teenager. :oops:

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
Penfold said:
unseenu wrote:
I love it how in thud Terry says that in WMC,"The author was writing from the racked depth of their souls,"when he is the author Laughing Laughing

I would be ecstatic if the kids 'round here only shouted "bugrit" instead of what they normally shout! Razz

Tonyblack wrote:
I got addicted to the wossname, parrot in Eric and kept saying "wossname" all the time. Embarassed
Lawks! it seems that Terry's works have had a major impact on the english language :laugh:

Jan 12, 2011
Alas,Germany
My three year old says bugger all the time.:eek:

No,honest,she does.Every time we pass a building site.:eek:

Ok,I see this needs explaining.

Emma is bilingual,of course.Like all small kids that are bilingual,they sometimes mix words of one language with another.
She likes to watch the excavators and diggers.Untypically for girls,she loves them.She groups them into family members,too.

Of course she likes to point them out to me.
Now,to enlighten you on this,"digger" in German is called "Bagger",pronounced "bugger".And she obviously prefers the German word to the correct English one.

"Look,Mummy,all those nice big Baggers!Look at the yellow Bagger!
There´s a Mummy Bagger and a Daddy Bagger and a baby Bagger.
And look how they are all Baggering nicely!!Aren´t they good Baggers?"

I always pray noone understands English.....

:laugh: :laugh:

Maybe reading "Where´s my cow" is not such a good idea after all....

User Menu

Newsletter