2013 Discworldcon bid

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Jan Van Quirm said:
Salem's sort of interesting I suppose - for some odd reason I've a hankering to go up Mount Washington if they have a suitable conveyance (another of my literary Holy Grails courtesy of Julian May's Saga of the Exiles :laugh: )
There is. You can either drive up it, or there's a quaint cog railway that starts in North Conway (the town nearest MW) and goes all the way to the summit. There's probably even a bus of some kind as well.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
raisindot said:
BALTIMORE?

Baltimore's a pit. Unless you're into squalor and crabs, there's no reason to go there.
Well if it wins the Con site vote one good reason to go. :) although Boston was OK and I would not mind going back did not see everything and could check out the clam chowder against Frisco's.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Can't wait to hear the announcement! Don't really care which city it's in actually, it's the company that counts. But both cities look like they have great things to offer! I'm hoping for a couple extra days to do some sightseeing. Anyone here planning on coming? Anyone here make it to this year's?

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Catch-up said:
Can't wait to hear the announcement! Don't really care which city it's in actually, it's the company that counts. But both cities look like they have great things to offer! I'm hoping for a couple extra days to do some sightseeing. Anyone here planning on coming? Anyone here make it to this year's?
If it's in Boston I'm 100% there.

If it's in Baltimore, I'll have to think about it. The cost of all the extra life insurance I'll have take out may make it prohibitively expensive. :laugh:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
raisindot said:
Catch-up said:
If it's in Boston I'm 100% there.

If it's in Baltimore, I'll have to think about it. The cost of all the extra life insurance I'll have take out may make it prohibitively expensive. :laugh:
Wow! Really? You'll have to fill me in please. So far I've only heard great things about it. But, if it does end up there, I really do hope you'll consider going anyway. There were plenty of people in AZ and WI who never left the hotel and had a wonderful time!

A

Anonymous

Here you go guys direct from the horses mouth (via facebook)

fter giving this (very tough) choice a great deal of thought and discussion, we are delighted to announce that the CITY OF BALTIMORE will be the site for the next North American Discworld Convention in 2013.

The dates are July 5th - 8th, and our hotel is located in Baltimore's fabulous Inner Harbor area.

We believe that Sir Terry and the Discworld fans will be in experienced and capable hands with the Baltimore team and we look forward to working very closely with them over the next two years. The steering committee members and our consulting team were extremely impressed with Baltimore's creative and well organized plans for 2013, plans detailed in a comprehensive bid that ultimately came in at over 30 pages. It was clear to us that this team is a triple threat: They have have the convention, stage and real world skills needed to provide an memorable, well organized and fun convention for all concerned.

Both bidding cities have a great deal to offer visitors and that made the choice all the more difficult.
For those of you who have not been to Baltimore before, we believe that you are going to love what you find. There is a great deal to see and do in the immediate area (and Washington D.C. is only a short train ride away). The inner harbor hotel they have chosen will fit our needs wonderfully and provide for the kind of mingling and meeting spaces for our guests that we feel is so important the success of this affair. It is also within easy walking distance of many interesting, historical and family-friendly sites as well as a wide variety of food choices and prices. The city itself is within easy reach for both our international and U.S. guests and the bid committee has given a great deal of thought to making our time there enjoyable. Wait till you see what they have planned!

We would like to thank both bid committees and their chairs for their hard work in producing these bids. Thanks also to our consultants who so generously gave us their time and advice and to the fans for their enthusiasm and patience.

Once again, we would like to thank both bid committees on behalf of our attendees for all their hard work and offer our congratulations to the team in Baltimore. (1) We ask that Discworld fans the world over give them their full support. We look forward to working with all here to make NADWCon 2013 the best one yet.

More details will follow over the course of time.

See you in Baltimore ....

Sincerely,

The Guild of Chelonavigators AKA the NADWCon Steering Committee

(1) We would also like to invite Boston - and any other interested cities - to consider bidding for 2015.

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Ouch! Hope the price comes down before the con. I took a peek on Expedia last night for roughly the same dates next year and it showed just $204 for a round trip flight! :eek: I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can get that kind of a rate for the following year!

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Yes still time to check around, and if the fuel prices come down a bit and our bloody goverment doesn't stick on or raise any more flight taxes it might be possible as it not too near Worldcon, just have to wait and see what the hotel room rates are. :pray: :mrgreen:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Penfold said:
raisindot said:
If you go to Baltimore you do know you're all going to get crabs, don't you? :laugh:
If you're referring to STD's, catching Lobsters and getting the Scallops in Boston could be just as bad, don't you think? ;) :p
Obviously, you don't know Boston very well. If you're a man and come around here looking for action, the only thing you're going to get is the deep freeze. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter