Alice in Wonderland

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Mar 25, 2010
Perth, Oz
I saw Alice In wonderland at the weekend with the Missus, we both liked it, but I don't think 3D added anything to it.
I might find a place that's showing it in 2D and try my theory out....

Nope! Sorry, I think they are a dream team and why break something that works for something that may or may not work? Personally I would be horrified if Johnny Depp was swapped for someone more fashionable like Robert Pattinson!

I would be the same if I was a director. I'd only call those I know are on my wavelength.

Besides Johnny Depp turned in a great performance as the Mad Hatter so it's not like he's miscast in all the roles Burton places him in.

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
I have no desire to see Robert Pattinson in anything.

But, it's just too formulaic for my tastes. I know exactly what I'm going to get when I see them both on a bill. And while I was entertained with this film, it was not mind-blowing. The parts of the film I enjoyed the most were those where Depp was absent. The White Queen was phenomenally portrayed by Hathaway and the March Hare brewing and cooking=hilarious.

But, it's just become too routine to see Depp and Burton together. I love Burton's style but if he ventured out of his comfort zone, there are plenty of other actors who I am sure would love to work with him and are just as brilliant.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I tend to prefer variety over comfort myself, but I will agree entirely with Lady Vee in this - Burton is a daring esoteric director and Depp is literally a phenomenon as an A-lister (in that he refuses to play a 'type' and doesn't live in the 'superstar' rathole aka Los Angeles and associated celluloid ghettoes). Artistically they 'match' each other and work well together (I note people aren't moaning about Helena BC working with Burton all the time... ;) ). And in fact they don't work together 'all the time' - well Depp doesn't anyway. Other directors don't necessarily 'get' him so well as Burton that's all.

I saw the film in 3D today - the dance I thought was a little off in terms of 'tone' with the rest of the film, but nevertheless in context with the Mad Hatter's personality. Everything people are saying against this I absolutely loved - do we really need to be told the original tale again - :rolleyes: No thanks! The storylining and screenplay were well thought out and plausible in the right way which is bonkers for this. :laugh:

I don't know that the film particularly 'needed' 3D as such (I saw Avatar in 3D a few weeks back and that certainly did make the very most of Hollywood's 'latest' new thing). The 'normal' CGI visual atmospherics were intelligent as well as impressive and I can't fault how the storyline and locations matched up to the edgy spin this brave sequel on Alice's legacy (and paid fitting tribute to Lewis Carroll's creativity - who wasn't the pervert many people now view him as). A lovely plug too for my adopted county - Antony House (where Alice fled the horrible Lord in the gazebo) and at the harbour at the end of the film (Charlestown). They're even more beautiful in real life :laugh:

Mar 29, 2010
Being a die hard Alice fan ever since I was a wee lass, I actually enjoyed the film more than I thought I would, I went to the cinema prepared for disappointment but had none... I loved the way Johnny Depp portrayed the Hatter, especially with the deep, sinister scottish accent, the only thing I didn't like was the dance he did at the end... But then when Alice did it after returning to the real world it made me smile, showing ones ankles was so not "the done thing" in polite society back then!

Well if he DIDN'T do that dance I would have been annoyed as I would be forever wondering what a Fatterwhack was! So I am pleased it was shown personally I found it funny ... apart from the head going clockwise independantly on its own but that is a nod to Beetlejuice when he does that in the film I suppose - there were plenty of people in that film that had never worked with TB before ... Anne Hathaway, Barbara Windsor, Stephen Fry, the actress that played Alice.

Helena Bonham Carter is Tim Burton missus - I reckon she has threatened divorce and no seeing the kids if he doesn't cast her ... :laugh:

Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
When they first said the name of the dance I thought he had swore :laugh: .I thought the dance was creepy-wierd and was out of place with Wonderland.I would imagine them to dance like folk dance type-ish dances there(like when they were dancing by the white queen).

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Well he IS the Mad Hatter and they were glue-sniffers and mercury ingesters because of the nature of their trade, so it had to be mad. It does 'fit' him... :laugh:

It was the music that was really out of place and it spoilt the 'oddness' and took down the left fieldness of the dance. If the dance and the music had contrasted then it would have been funny and 'right' - as it was it ended up making it a 'contemporary' joke because it was too justified :twisted:

Or am I going mad...? :twisted:

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
No you aren't Lady Vetinari.
I saw Alice last week in 3D with my friend. We both thought it was brilliant, couldn't fault it at all. We did realise before we saw it it would be totally different to any Alice done before & it was. Johnny Depp, amazing! Cor!!
The Cheshire cat marvelous, Tweedle Dum & Dee, ditto. Red Queen, very over the top, but it worked.
And it was made not far from me either, at the lovely Antony House.

User Menu

Newsletter