Alice in Wonderland

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
Tiffany said:
No you aren't Lady Vetinari.
I saw Alice last week in 3D with my friend. We both thought it was brilliant, couldn't fault it at all. We did realise before we saw it it would be totally different to any Alice done before & it was. Johnny Depp, amazing! Cor!!
The Cheshire cat marvelous, Tweedle Dum & Dee, ditto. Red Queen, very over the top, but it worked.
And it was made not far from me either, at the lovely Antony House.
I raved, Lady V. I thought it was good, ran close enough to the book, the poems quoted were right and at one point I was trying to work out who was CGI and who wasn't! Brilliant! Loved the fact that the red queens soldiers were cards and the white queens were chess pieces.
I also loved the pending decapitation scene. Very good, very clever!

I would like to see it in 2D though, as I thought 3D wasn't really necessary.

Jun 17, 2010
It is still worth the high price of the 3-D admission to see some of the amazing animation and design, but the writing is extremely boring and clumsy, and the performances cannot save it. Too many liberties were taken with the originals here, and in no way improve upon them, it only barely resembles either of Carroll's books in theme and some specific scenes. There are some "Disney moments" that literally set off a gag reflex as well.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Lady Vetinari said:
Well if he DIDN'T do that dance I would have been annoyed as I would be forever wondering what a Fatterwhack was! So I am pleased it was shown personally I found it funny ... apart from the head going clockwise independantly on its own but that is a nod to Beetlejuice when he does that in the film I suppose - there were plenty of people in that film that had never worked with TB before ... Anne Hathaway, Barbara Windsor, Stephen Fry, the actress that played Alice.

Helena Bonham Carter is Tim Burton missus - I reckon she has threatened divorce and no seeing the kids if he doesn't cast her ... :laugh:

Me as well. :laugh:
Got the DVD & watched it Monday evening with my friend, we both noticed things in it we hadn't seen at the cinema. It was OK in 2D too.

Jun 17, 2010
I loved it absolutely brilliant Deep was great an Oscar for sure next year for him,but the character who really cracked me up was the March Hare so funny I must get on DVD when it comes out.

It reminded me of the book The Looking Glass Wars (Frank Beddor?) just a little, with Alice having left Wonderland and forgotten that it was real.

The costume/colours were fantastic, even if bits of it seemed put in just to make the 3D worthwhile.

I thought the futterwack was a bit...random...though >.>

Aug 26, 2010
Alice, a humble person and 19-year-old is engaged to a dunce of an English nobleman. At her engagement, she escapes the crowd to wonder if going through the wedding and falls into a hole in the garden when he spotted an unusual rabbit. On arriving in a strange place and surreal called "Underland," she finds herself in a world that looks like a nightmare she had as a child, filled with talking animals, queens, knights and villains, and frumious Bandersnatch

User Menu

Newsletter