And the next Discworld movie will be ...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ziriath

Constable
Oct 15, 2011
Brno, Czech Republic
It seemed to me Going Postal novel is the only Discworld book the author of the GP movie has ever read- and not whole, cos he forgot the book on a train and had to let someone retell him the rest of the book.
Like: Oh, there's a blonde werewolf chick in Ankh-Morpork? Let's throw her in! She's not in the book? Doesn't matter.
Vetinari has a cane? He must be an older guy. (Dunno how the other fans see it, for me C. Dance is not Vetinari at all)
And this bit is not interesting enough- let's add some hanging-by-the-fingertips scene!
Smoking is bad. Adora should stop it.

The B.S. Johnson's machine was essential to the story- but it was missing. I missed there many good bits- Groat's alchemy, the cat, initiation test etc.

Jan 13, 2012
South florida, US
www.youtube.com
Personally i thought Hogfather was the best out of the movies. not perfect, but their best attempt. going postal was.... meh.

and Angua was in it (the book), briefly, but i never liked how they portrayed her in the movie. too hard edged, to gothy, to much of a standard movie werewolf. instead of just a pretty, normal looking girl, who turned into a normal looking blonde wolf (instead of the usual wolfman type of WW).

Feb 27, 2010
I agree that Hogfather would be the best of the movies, I think it captured the book's humour very well, and the actor who played Teatime seemed to know what he was doing (even if he didn't play the character quite as I imagined him).
I want Jeremy Irons back as Vetinari. He was the highlight of The Colour of Magic for me. Charles Dance didn't fit the role. And I think Death must make at least a cameo in each movie. His absence in GP somewhat irked me.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
I definitely agree with Jeremy Irons as Vetinari, he is almost exactly how I envisioned him. :laugh:

As for Rincewind, I really don't think David Jason fitted the part at all. I rather suspect that his casting was more of a ploy by the production company to appeal to the public who have never heard of Discworld and boost ratings. Of course, David Jason is a fan of DW (I believe) and he might always have asked for the part himself, a request I might have found hard to decline if I was in their shoes and worried about ratings. :think:

Ziriath

Constable
Oct 15, 2011
Brno, Czech Republic
I wonder, how readers imagined Vetinari, before the Kidby's illustrations were made. 'My' Havelock is beardless and has a ponytail. With black velvet ribbon.
The 'official' V from later books looks too much like a generic authority with black hair and beard, sort of Mirror Spock stereotype.

ramtopsman

Lance-Corporal
Aug 19, 2010
manchester
www.youtube.com
I personally believe that Hogfather was the best adaptation out of all the DW sky adaptations

The characters were well cast and the costumes and backdrop was perfect as for the writing its understandble why things where dropped you would have to make a 5 hour long movie for everything to be put in

Colour of magic / light fantastic (PERSONAL OPINION) There was alot to be desired Character selection was wrong for my liking David jason was not the rincewind i imagined although the character of twoflower was kept to my liking i could say im sorry to the Jeremy Iron fans but i didnt think i could believe him as vetinari with a lisp he didnt capture the character for my liking, The backdrop was perfect for Ank during the day but alot of peices where missing from the book which could of been kept in not to mention hurun the barbarian was completely absent from the entire adaptation

Going postal: Characters were really well chosen and very true to the book (YES) including charles dance as vetinari minus the fact he didnt have Jet black hair he had the personality as derived in the later books, The backdrop to ank was a little different to previous backdrops but was still very well recreated as a evolution in ank, Although they missed ALOT from the book and even tried to add a anti smoking message into the story which i did not agree with

My oppinion and choice in order

Hogfather
Going Postal
Colour of magic

And to plug myself further check out http://www.youtube.com/user/ramtopsman to find all of these movies pluss audioplays news and much much more

Jan 4, 2012
Norway/Spain
My pet peeve (sp?) with all of them is that this crazy city AM that never sleeps is so quiet in all of the movies, I imagine because budget is budget but they all lack the chaos that is a big city, and so the sets feels cold and almost sterile. I hope they continue to cast diferent actors as vetinari, thus all of us will end up with one we can live with in at least one movie?

A

Anonymous

On a note on UA:
As they are apparently are through with panning and started/are starting shooting, I went to check if there are any news on the cast.
What I found instead was well...devasting. Apparently the german sevenone media is on board at the production, having had a say in adapting the script.
The book and my dislike for it aside:
NO STORY deserves that.
Why?
Let me put it like this:
Said group is rather infamous for their handing of comedy and movies in general.
Their creme de la creme of writing usually amounts to 'Hey, let us steal the plot from this semi-famous/cult movie, throw out the elements/ideas that cause the whole thing to work and replace it with something utterly inappropiate'
If they had any say in the adaption... Good Night...
Take everything I ever complained about when it comes to the book and threat it as true, objective describtion and you get an idea of what sevenone usually does when it comes to movies.
I don't have much hope...

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
LilMaibe said:
What I found instead was well...devasting. Apparently the german sevenone media is on board at the production, having had a say in adapting the script.
Oh, I don't know why you're worried. Everyone knows that Germans are masters in the comedic tradition. :laugh:

A

Anonymous

Cut the sarcasm....I live in Germany...I KNOW what that group is capable of......You have NO idea.

A

Anonymous

On a further note:
Does anyone have ANY news on it? Cast? Release date? Other info?
With CoM and GP one at least heard about the cast before IIRC, but here...

Terry & Rob tweeted this on March 12:

"We received the treatment for UA parts 1&2 on Friday and will read them as soon as we get to the end of Dodger."
https://twitter.com/#!/terryandrob/stat ... 1661750272

Of course, this was just prior to their recent Borneo trip, so who knows if they have had a chance to review the script yet. I suspect the rest of production will go ahead (with further announcements) once Terry has approved the script.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Terry has cancelled movies before when he didn't approve of the script. That's why he always keeps final approval over the script. I hope he will stick to his principles with UA as well as he has with Mort over the years. While I'd love to see it done well, I would hate to see it done badly. That said, Terry has also been very flexible about plot elements as long as certain key lines that are important to him are kept in, and he has had to fight for them on occasion. I believe that the key line in GP was the "Deliver us" line - the Mob wanted to remove it.

Sep 21, 2012
I personally liked all the film & adaptions, i guess i'm just used to the fact that their "adaptions", which means that their not exactly the same as the book, either for money or creative reasons.
I'm just glad they are making them, i loved Going Postal, i personally felt it had all the elements needed to tell the story.
I never ever realised until reading the forums that Vetinari had the wrong color hair, it was the acting that won the role for me, i do hope that they get to Making Money, which i beleive Sir T wanted to make next.
I've read almost all the Diskworld books, except Hogfather, Wintersmith and Maurice, and so far the only one i havn't loved was Moving Pictures, perhaps because there was not much of the "Regular Characters".
I'd realy like to see "Guards Guards" made, though i can't think who would be cast as Commander Vimes that would give credit to the role.
I'm looking foward to UA, which i hope comes soon, and i don't think i'll care if things are a bit off, because as i said at the start, there "adaptions".

I wonder how much it costs to make these films? and wheather something like Kickstarted might help raise some money for them, i know i'd put in to see more of the Books be made for the Big screen, in the meantime, i'll have to rewatch my collection and re-read the books.

Thank you for letting me share my opinions.

:)

User Menu

Newsletter