Anime Corner

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
Not heard of The Ultimate Teacher I might look it up properly later

I have far too much anime and have seen a lot more my taste is somewhat scatter gun all over the place
but by playing ippy dippy on gogo anime's playlist I found Michiko and Hatchi

after watching the intro for the first time I was reminded of Cowboy Bebop
turns out it was produced by the same people
and has made it onto my shopping list

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I've watched more than a few series, with one of the latest being Fate/Zero. I intend to make my way through the Fate franchise. I also enjoy Fullmetal Alchemist, Hellsing, Azumanga Daioh, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Death Note, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Soul Eater, and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I also enjoy, to lesser degrees, Dragonball and Naruto. And while I'm no diehard anime fan, I have got signed copies of most of my Evangelion DVDs (with Yuko Miyamura, Tiffany Grant, and Brina Palencia, amongst others, signing the various DVD covers).

I also enjoy Abridged Series, especially those by Team Four Star.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I have quite a few Studio Ghibli ones, also Tales from Earthsea in Japanese and English as it was bought in the dealers room at the 2007 Worldcon, seen most of the Ghibli ones but not the two or three latest ones
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, Japanese only
Hyperius the Third Various titles Japanese only
Looking forward to Ghost in the Shell film when its out, I have I&II plus the Ninja Scrolls Cowboy Bebop film, and the Overfiend.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Who's Wee Dug said:
I have quite a few Studio Ghibli ones, also Tales from Earthsea in Japanese and English as it was bought in the dealers room at the 2007 Worldcon, seen most of the Ghibli ones but not the two or three latest ones
Daphne in the Brilliant Blue, Japanese only
Hyperius the Third Various titles Japanese only
Looking forward to Ghost in the Shell film when its out, I have I&II plus the Ninja Scrolls Cowboy Bebop film, and the Overfiend.
Well, the Ghost in the Shell film that's coming out next year isn't exactly anime. I'm reserving judgement until it comes out, but English-speaking countries don't exactly have a decent track record in adapting anime to live action. Dragonball Evolution and Speed Racer, anyone? Western media works best in adapting the style and tropes of anime (The Matrix, Pacific Rim, etc), rather than directly adapting an anime itself. If we're very lucky, Ghost in the Shell may be an exception to the rule. And possibly the upcoming Western adaptation of Death Note. That one I'm actually excited for, because the story itself is not necessarily anchored to Japan (not as much as Ghost in the Shell), and may yet be adaptable as a live action film set in the US rather than Japan.

I personally find the Stand Alone Complex series more superior to the Mamoru Oshii films, if only because the latter gets too much into the damned navel-gazing. The manga was bad enough at times, especially in Man-Machine Interface, but the Oshii films were worse. Actually, one thing that is in the manga, but not in the adaptations (save for a few occasions in Stand Alone Complex) is the humour. Motoko and much of Section 9 are hilarious in the manga.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
Well I finished my shopping list for comic con tomorrow
When Marnie Was There £10

The Tale Of The
Princess Kaguya £9

A letter to Momo £10

Ghost In The Shell Arise:
Borders Parts 3 And 4 £11

Ghost in the shell
The New Movie £11

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Complete Series Collection £25

Michiko And Hatchin
Part 1 £10
Part 2 £10
Complete Collection £30

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I watched Kiki's Delivery Service the other day after I got a copy of the DVD from eBay. I really enjoyed the story, the artwork and the characters. When I looked at the cast, I noticed that one of the characters in the English version was dubbed by Debbie Reynolds, which seemed quite poignant considering her recent death.

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012
I've always been a fan of studio ghibli films i.e Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Porko Rosso etc.

I also really like Afro Samurai, though considering the protagonist is voiced by Samuel L Jackson and the Antagonist by Ron Perlman how could I not? :laugh:

I used to watch so much anime, some that come to mind are Hellsing and Kino's Journey but my list of anime I like is pretty extensive, I only watch what I like after all haha.

I read manga these days. Name it and it's Seinen and i've probably read it ;)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
I've got Howl's Moving Castle on order. :)
You know, while we're on the subject of Hiyao Miyazaki, while I haven't watched the movie of Nausicaa, I have read the entire manga.

User Menu

Newsletter