Anime Corner

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
congrats on the price of totoro

My thread so I makes the rules
I'm including the slightly dodgy subject of live action anime
so nar
whatever type of anime you like you'd have to living under a rock to not have heard of Deathnote in any of it's incarnations
and I have stumbled across a forth sequel to the deathnote films and my inner completionist wants it badly
preferably in the same book type dvd cover so it matches the last three films on my shelf

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
the third film isn't that great but it's nice to Kenichi Matsuyama reprise his role as L for one last time

you might stumble across the western version of Death Note which is from what I’ve heard is not really that good
and yet another Japanese live action made for TV version which aside from screenshots I know nothing about

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Who's Wee Dug said:
I've seen the western one as well it was Ok, nowhere near good as the Japanese one.
How can you say that? I don't think it's been released yet, has it? Some berk's put a review on IMDB, but as far as I can tell, it hasn't been released. As far as the live-action English film version of Death Note is concerned, anyway. I enjoyed the English dub of the anime.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I watched My Neighbour Totaro last night. What an absolutely delightful film! It's rare that I laugh out loud at a film, but I did so several times. I loved the Cat Bus.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
Tonyblack said:
I guess that the upcoming Ghost in the Shell movie, counts as live action Anime. I've seen some clips as well as some of the props at the Weta studio in New Zealand. Looks like an interesting movie.
yeah it does count as live action anime
I really want GITS (What a abbreviation :laugh: ) live action to be a good film so so badly it hurts but western film makers
have a dubious reputation with live action anime, manga hashing up classic animes like Dragon Ball: Evolution, Blood the last vampire and old Boy to name a notorious few so I hope Ghost in the shell is good white washing aside but it might be a case of hope for the best but prepare for the worse

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Quatermass said:
Who's Wee Dug said:
I've seen the western one as well it was Ok, nowhere near good as the Japanese one.
How can you say that? I don't think it's been released yet, has it? Some berk's put a review on IMDB, but as far as I can tell, it hasn't been released. As far as the live-action English film version of Death Note is concerned, anyway. I enjoyed the English dub of the anime.
You just answered your own question.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
eh
I'm not even going to follow that properly up

it's that time of year again comic con is only this Saturday
and I have not got my s**t together not even printed my ticket
and only today I've started my shopping list
Attack On Titan:
Complete £15
Blue Exorcist
Complete £20
Part 1 £17
Part 2 £5
Letter to Momo £13
Cowboy Bebop
Complete £17
A much shorter list this time

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
narg mmmm I found this about 5 mins ago another live action film adaptation
this time Full metal alchemist now I have only just watched the brotherhood series
so I don't have a huge emotional attachment to full metal
so I can take a much more objective P.O.V on this

my first reaction is this looks cool but also looks fan made (which isn't a bad thing btw)
I'm not sure how a 64 episode anime can be condensed into a 90 min minimum film
there is going to be massive amount of plot hitting the cutting room floor
unless it's going to be part one of a trilogy which might be better
I haven't read anything online on this at all yet so this is my first very superficial reaction

Shinymetal

Lance-Constable
Jan 27, 2017
Matanzas, Cuba
I'm a sucker for sob stories I guess that's why of all the movies Ghibli made for me the best one is The Grave of the Fireflies.
I've watch some good movies this year but the ones that really got to me where The wolf children, The girl who leapt trough time and Sakasama no Patema.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
good films patama inverted is a hidden gem I only discovered last year
have you seen Giovanni's Island yet? it's a little like Grave of the fireflies in how it feels

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I saw the trailer for the Fullmetal Alchemist movie. I wonder how closely it will be based on the manga. At least three of the Homunculi and Shou Tucker will be in it, according to the cast list on Wikipedia.

Anyway, I've finally got the motivation back to watch Fate/Zero, picking up where I left off, and hoo boy, was it a spectacular set of episodes or what? I mean, the second episode I watched was the first episode of the second season, and has one of the best title sequences coupled with a good theme: To the Beginning by Kalafina...

While most of the Servants are battling the monster Caster summoned, Archer and Berserker have a dogfight between Archer's ancient Babylonian airship and Berserker's hijacked jet fighter. I wish I was making this up...

And then there's the moment when Saber/Arturia unleashes Excalibur. Nothing says "F*** you" to an enemy than a sword that can fire massive blasts of light. 'Nuff said.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Just back from watching Ghost in the Shell, really good I really enjoyed it, definitely well worth the money spent in the cinema to watch it. Kept me engrossed from start to finish, reminiscent of a mix of Bladerunnerderesque city views with a touch of the Matrix, as far as I'm concerned it could not be better IMO. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Shinymetal said:
I hope it is as good as you say, rotten tomatoes seems to disagree.
All the reviews I've seen in the UK and on the Film review BBC programme have rated it as good, which I tend to agree with, as far as I'm concerned I was happy with it. :mrgreen:

But I will check out the rotten tomatoes review.

Edited to add 62% audience liked it, each to their own as far as opinion goes it would be a bit boring if we all liked the same thing.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I've been reading through various manga lately, like One Piece, which is entertaining enough. But I've recently got the Blu-Ray of Season 1 of Black Lagoon, which is set in a crime-ridden Thai city called Roanapur which makes Gotham look like a playground.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
Anime is 100 years old this year

Namakura Gatana (The Dull Sword) 1917

Yes this is correct now this isn't my research but what has cropped up in my youtube recommendations
100 years of Japanese Anime that is a bizarrely huge amount of years when I think of it.
Anime has been knocking around for longer than the Walt Disney Company.

This link below is much more eloquent than I could ever be at conveying a brief history of Japan's anime history
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-new ... 180962662/
Now sorry I don't speak or read Japanese.
But this site has released some of the oldest Japanese Animations in lue of Anime's centenary
http://animation.filmarchives.jp/index.html

User Menu

Newsletter