Anne McCaffrey

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Does anyone else like Anne McCaffrey's books? I am adicted to her writings as well as Terry's.
I particularly like her books about Pern. Her Son Todd is now writing them, (with Mothers recommendation). It's good to know they will carry on. His style is very like Anne's.
Has anyone else any thoughts on Anne's books?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I read them some years ago - back in the 70s and loved them. Well, loved some of them...

I got very frustrated aafter The White Dragon because I NEEDED to find what happened next and she really didn't take it much further until All The Weyrs of Pern, which I haven't read yet.

And in between she wrote some dreadful stuff that completely put me off her. I hated the Dinosaur Planet series and got incredibly frustrated.

Sharlene likes her though and I've currently got a copy of All The Weyrs of Pern sitting by the bedside waiting to be read. ;)

Annebn

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Germany
I also read some of the Pern books years ago, and really liked them a first. But I got "Perned out" at one point (a phrase I got from a friend who had a similar experience). Maybe it would be worth trying some more now.
I haven't read anything else by her. I think I'll steer clear of the Dinosaur planet, after reading Tonys comment.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I agree with Tony, about Dinosaur Planet, though I have got most of them & did read them.
The Petaybee books are better.
I did like her Brain/Brawn books too, but my favourites are the Pern series.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Dragonsong is my favourite, followed by The White Dragon, but I haven't read a Pern book I didn't like.
The Chrystal Singer series of books are good too.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
chris.ph said:
I like the dragon books but my favourite is moreta dragonlady of pern
I liked Moreta, but still don't understand why she then went and wrote what was basically the same story again albeit from another person's point of view. o_O

lawrenson

Lance-Constable
Jul 30, 2008
Hi,

i read these when I was younger, and enjoyed them.

Not sure what happened after that tho - either the later books (and her non-Dragon stuff) weren't as good, or my tastes changed as I got older, as I founder her later work very saccharine/schmaltzy.

Cheers,
karen

Sep 9, 2008
XXXX
I have read the Pern books and loved them.

They had a particular resonance at one point in my life. Particularly the connection with the dragons.

With what I was going through they were in a strange way comforting.

I love the Harper Hall trio. Menonlly is a favourite.

Robyn

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Tonyblack said:
I liked Moreta, but still don't understand why she then went and wrote what was basically the same story again albeit from another person's point of view. o_O
Tony, which book was that one?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tiffany said:
Tonyblack said:
Tony, which book was that one?
Nerilka's Story. It's told from the point of view (IIRC) of the Healer's apprentice. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tiffany said:
I'll have to re-read that one, Tony, I have got it, with the Coelura (is that the right spelling? Not got the book handy.)
That's the one! It seems that the UK version came with the two stories but the US one is just the one story but with quite a few illustrations. :)

Watchman44

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Tiverton Devon
I have almost all her books and the Pern series are my favourites, but I also like the Tower and Hive series (the Rowan books) and the Catteni series. I do agree that the dinosaur planet series were not her best.
I also enjoyed the crystal singer series.
I met her once at Waterstones in Exeter and she was very nice.
For more information see http://annemccaffrey.net/index.php

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Hi Watchman44, You don't live a million miles from me. Thanks for the link, but I do know her site.

Just realised it isn't in my favourites any more so I have added it, thanks again.

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
I started McCaffery years ago with the Ship books (which I very much liked) and some of the Talent books. But I have to agree that the Dinosaur Books were pretty much a mistake. But the Crystal Singer is quite good, didn't like the 2nd one as well, and consequently didn't read the third. I liked the Doona series, but couldn't get into the Acorna though I read several of them.

As to the Pern series, I've read them all, some multiple times. I finally got Tony to read All the Wyrs of Pern which answered some of his questions about what happened next. I'm very anxious to see how the newest one--by Todd is, but haven't read it yet.

One of the things that rather fascinated me was the way in which McCaffery (as well as Pratchett) has written a batch of "children's books" although hers don't seem to be identified as childrens in the same way. And although I think Dragonsinger, Dragonsong, and Dragon Drums immediately spring to mind, so does The Dolphins of Pern, and to some small degree parts of The Masterharper of Pern. If she has done anything similar to Maurice and the Educated Rodents, I don't know it--but the others certainly compare very well to the Tiffany series--or at least I think so. What do the rest of you think?

User Menu

Newsletter