Any Questions?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Thanks Mole, that Nanny is a star isn't she? I especially liked the postcard telling how they'd been locked up - "I have put an X where we are, which is inside" :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
TheMole said:
Tonyblack said:
TheMole said:
well, for one, I don´t know what is "Wagga Hay - It´s the Rye Grass" from the Last Continent supposed to mean - could somebody help? ;)
I can't actually remember that bit - do you have the page or the context the sentence is used in? o_O
oh, I´m sorry - it´s on p. 156 in my Corgi paperback:

Something similar had happened with the kangaroos. There were the pointy ears and they definitely had snouts, but now they were leaning on the bar drinking this thin, strange beer. One of them was wearing a stained vest with the legend 'Wagga Hay – it's the Rye Grass!' just visible under the dirt.
I've been trying to find out more about this and asked on another forum. Thanks Demdike for this link about Ryegrass Staggers, a problem to cattle (and kangaroos) that feed off ryegrass that is infected with a fungus. I'm pretty sure this fungus is Ergot which can have a marked affect on both humans and animals when eaten. Some people now believe that cases of 'possession' and 'witchcraft' were actually cases of ergot poisoning and the victims were in fact 'high' rather than possessed. :)

The first link is to a NZ site, but both Wagga (Wagga) and Hay are towns in New South Wales, Australia and I can only assume they have had this problem there with apparently drunken kangas. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Don't know if this will work from your country Mole - sometimes these BBC items will only work in the UK. HERE'S a recent interview with Terry on video where the interviewer uses his name right at the start. :)

Edit to capitalise the C in BBC.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
:laugh: There were times when I thought the same thing Ray. I'm hoping that, as is the case with most Pratchett books, that I'll enjoy it a whole lot more on the second reading.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It definitely pays to read the books and then reread them. I know a lot of people who hated Monstrous Regiment on the first reading, but on the second they really got into it. There's usually depth in Terry's books that isn't always obvious when you first read them.

Colin

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
North Warwickshire
Monstrous Regiment is the one that still gives most me problems, followed by The Last Continent ... but, in principle, I agree that second readings are essential ... followed by third, fourth, many & lots ... ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I think Making Money had a lot of brilliant ideas, just not as many jokes as usual (although Mr Fusspot with his toy was very funny, I agree). But I'll definitely have a re-read, even though I've never been able to pick up Moving Pictures and Thief of Time again. But there's bits in both books I'm glad I know about (such as procrastinators for example).

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think Moving Pictures suffers from the fact that it is nearly all jokes and movie references - there's not a great deal of depth to it. A joke is only funny so many times and hidden references, once you've found them, lose their attraction.

Terry's books are moving away from lots of obvious humour and more into satirical humour and that sort of humour and observation lasts. It lasts because human nature is such that they will keep setting up situations that Terry's writing seems to fit. That's because Terry's satire is about humans, not about events. I'm reading Thud! at the moment and it's truly an incredible look at human nature that I suspect will still be relevant in 300 years time in much the way that Jonathon Swift's satire is still relevant today.

Tonyblack said:
Terry's books are moving away from lots of obvious humour and more into satirical humour
Few days ago, I was discussing with my Czech friends exactly this Terry´s moving; and quite a lot of them were regretting this fact - they liked his books more when they were full of obvious humour and so on. On the other side, I feel that his books are better with passing years and the simplicity of his earlier books is somehow sad; Terry´s genius is far more exhibited in his more complicated books like Hogfather, Thief of Time, etc.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
TheMole said:
Tonyblack said:
Terry's books are moving away from lots of obvious humour and more into satirical humour
Few days ago, I was discussing with my Czech friends exactly this Terry´s moving; and quite a lot of them were regretting this fact - they liked his books more when they were full of obvious humour and so on. On the other side, I feel that his books are better with passing years and the simplicity of his earlier books is somehow sad; Terry´s genius is far more exhibited in his more complicated books like Hogfather, Thief of Time, etc.
I completely agree! I've been running a Discworld discussion group on another board for the last few years - we've been doing a book a month and reading and discussing them in order.

Unlike a lot of authors, Terry has got better as he's written more. We are discussing Thud! on Monday and the month after that Making Money. It's been a long haul, but an enjoyable one seeing the evolution of the Disc and Terry's writing. ;)

User Menu

Newsletter