Any Questions?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I just had a thought about the Keldas... I've only read The Wee Free Men so far from the Tiffany Aching series. It was mentioned that a Kelda must take a husband and make lots of little Nac Mac Feegle. Tiffany was smart enough to figure her way around this, at least for a long time. It was also hinted that the queen tricked the clan or a clan or possibly all clans into becoming their Kelda.

Has it ever been explained how/if the queen got around this? Though the thought of lots of elf/pictsies running around the place drunken but elegant is pretty funny.

-The elfs remind me of another favourite quote: "Are you Elvish?" :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
My understanding was that Feegles used to live in the land of the Fairy Queen - it's never explained (to my satisfaction) if this is the same queen from Lords and Ladies or not - my feeling is that it's not.

Anyhow, the Feegles were expelled from Fairy Land for being... "pished" and they came to live in Discworld.

As far as we know each clan of Feegles has its own Kelda and the majority of offspring are male. When a girl is born she is trained by her mother until it is time for her to leave and then she takes a group of her brothers and goes off to a clan that doesn't have a Kelda.

And before anyone says it - NO! Not like Smurfs.

Just to add - when Tiffany stopped being Kelda another female Feegle from another clan came to be Kelda in Tiffany's place. She brought several of her brothers and chose her Big Man.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Incidentally, The Bank of England is in a street in London named Threadneedle Street. It was named this after the erm... Seamstresses who worked in that street. Before it got that name it had a much more vulgar nickname, which I won't be able to post on this forum. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Well I suspect it goes back a lot further than the Victorians. It was probably the Victorians who changed it to the more respectable name. ;)

Edit to add that the Oxford English Dictionary confirms that the street had that name as far back as 1230 AD.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter