Any Questions?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

zcobb

Feb 9, 2014
Yes! Kudos to mirandashell and The Mad Collector. I was thinking of: The Way of Mrs. Cosmopilite "a collection of wise words from Mrs. Marietta Cosmopilite by Lu-Tze" and it does feature in Thief of Time.

I have since found, thanks to your help, that some of the sayings were featured in "Lu-Tze's Yearbook of Enlightenment" a sort of diary for 2008.

Hunter

Lance-Constable
Feb 26, 2014
IRI
Hi everyone, I'm translating the series to Farsi. And I need a little help sometimes, if you could help me it'd be much appreciated.
In book 8, Guards! Guards! :
The King (of dwarfs) is writing a letter to the ruler of ankh for Carrot, and everyone has sat around and watching. Then it says:
"His aunt had been sent up to Varneshi's to beg his pardon but could he see his way clear to sparing a smidgen of wax. His sister had been sent down to the village to ask Mistress Garlick the witch how you stopped spelling recommendation."
I get that (maybe) by "sparing a smidgen of wax" the mean ink for writing the letter. but what about "Ho you stopped spelling recommendation."
Does it mean they keep writing and don't know when to stop? or it's talking about the actual spelling of the word "Recommendation"?
I'm really confused.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The wax is to seal the letter once it is written. The "how to stop spelling recommendation" is similar to the joke in Witches Abroad where Nanny says she knows how to spell "banana" but doesn't know how to stop spelling it. She then goes on to spell it bananana. It's a much funnier joke with banana, but recommendation is such a long word for simple folks, that it probably seems quite daunting. :)

I hope that helps. Good luck with your translation, and feel free to ask - we'll try to explain . . . if we can.

Hunter

Lance-Constable
Feb 26, 2014
IRI
Oh, got it. Right.
You'd say for I face a problem such simple what questions will I have in the future.
But thanks anyway. I'll try to trouble you less when I can figure it out on my own. But you KNOW you'll be seeing a lot more of me in this topic, well, 40 book to go is a long way.

Hunter

Lance-Constable
Feb 26, 2014
IRI
I know, but you know what they say, when you love your job, you actually aren't doing any work as much as having fun.

Hunter

Lance-Constable
Feb 26, 2014
IRI
If you like the philosophy, you definitely would love living it. :drool:
Is there a spam/degrading rule where we shouldn't be doing any discussing but related to the tittle of the topic?
Because in most of Iranian forums there is such regulation, in which your post will be considered a spam and you'll get a warning. But not all of them.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hunter said:
Is there a spam/degrading rule where we shouldn't be doing any discussing but related to the tittle of the topic?
Because in most of Iranian forums there is such regulation, in which your post will be considered a spam and you'll get a warning. But not all of them.
We are pretty laid back here and often go off topic. Don't worry about it. :)

Hunter

Lance-Constable
Feb 26, 2014
IRI
The Mad Collector said:
The only surprise here Hunter is if you stick to the thread topic :rolleyes: :laugh:

Welcome to the forum, where in Iran are you?
Oh, good, because I have a tendency to digress, a lot!
I live in Khouzestan (Kh as in latin javier or jose, you know the kind of intonation that comes from depths of your throat and when you make the sound your brain vibrates and your eyes wobble) it's one of the southern provinces of Iran, one of the largest and rich (earth source-wise) ones too, but unfortunately one of the leas equipped and what you call advanced states, too.
Any more questions I'll be more than happy to answer and discuss (such an interest I have for interacting) it.
Tonyblack said:
Hunter said:
We are pretty laid back here and often go off topic. Don't worry about it. :)
Well, thanks. What a relief.
by the way I have an English story too (written by yours drooly :drool:) where do you guys think it'd be best to publish it, virtually, I'd like to get read. It's kind of a parody of the parody of Guards Guards, in a twisted stupid kind of way, but it's funny, and I'm a good writer too, I swear :mrgreen:

Hunter

Lance-Constable
Feb 26, 2014
IRI
Cor!

What is "Cor!"?
In Guards! Guards! when for the first time the dragon is summoned, it goes and burns 3rd class thief Zebbo Mooty. Then he dies and is ascending, see's Death's figure, asks him who is he, and Death says, 'Guess'. And after a peering Mooty says, "Cor! I thought you dint show for the likes of me."
I couldn't find out what that "Cor!" was. I googled it, and the only thing turned up to be a Spanish translation tittle "A Cor Da Magia" Which I'm thinking means Color of Magic.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It's actually a corruption of "God"

Rather than blaspheme, people would change the word to "gor" and that eventually became "cor" - but Pip is quite right, it's an expression of surprise. An alternative is "cor (or gor) blimey" which is a corruption of "God, blind me".

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
:laugh: It's like when someone drops something and is about to swear, but instead changes it to: Oh, sh . . . sugar! Or: Oh fu . . . goodness sake. I used to know a guy who used the word "chuff" and "chuffing" to replace any swear words.

Hunter

Lance-Constable
Feb 26, 2014
IRI
So it's British? I thought it's one those things he just makes up. What do you suggest I replace with it? Because you know, blasphemy in here... not a lot of fans there. If you know wt i mn.

User Menu

Newsletter