Any Questions?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Dec 15, 2008
Norway
OMG what a funny thread :laugh:
Have a comment about ergotism by the way...it constricts the bloodvessels of the extremeties so that they eventually die and fall off. Kind of like lepra, but not caused by a bacteria.
Just a useless bit of information.
Have no questions of my own right now.

kathryn22

Jan 16, 2009
The Night Watch

Hi,

I'm very new to the whole Discworld books and am reading my first 'Guards! Guards!' Could someone please tell me which other books are related to this book, I heard there was a trilogy, however can't seem to fine it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Hi there kathryn22, and welcome to the site.

Guards! Guars! is the first book where we meet Sam Vimes and the Ankh-Morport City Watch.

The next book with them in is Men at Arms. The Feet of Clay, Jingo, The Fifth Elephant, Night Watch and Thud!

The Watch, or members of the Watch, also make the odd cameo appearance in other Discworld books. But the ones I've mentioned are the main ones with the Watch. :laugh:

Hope that helps.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
That's a bit more tricky as there isn't a University book as such - although the University is often featured in the books.

Of course there is the university pre Mustrum Ridcully (The Archchancellor) and after him. The university before him had a very different type of wizard. Ridcully arrives in Moving Pictures and things settle down after that... sort of. :laugh:

But the first three books have a lot about the university in them. That's Colour of Magic, Light Fantastic and Equal Rites - Equal Rites is also very much about wizard magic as opposed to witch magic and it's where we meet Granny Weatherwax for the first time.

Anothe pre-Ridcully book featuring the wizards is Sourcery. Post-Ridcully you want boks such as Moving Pictures, Soul Music, Hogfather and The Last Continent.

Then there are The Science of Discworld books which feature the wizards extensively.

Hope that helps. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Jarmara said:
Ah now, does Lords and Ladies count as a University book? Or is it a Witches book or is a hybrid?
Yes, I wondered that as well. :laugh: It's certainly got wizards in it. I tend to see it as Terry saying - how can I get the witches and wizards to interact again without getting Granny and co. to go all the way to A-M again.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
UU has a sabbat-ical perhaps? ;) Or Extra-Curricular Field Studies?

Of course with UU being multi-dimensional anyway it could be argued that being the Uni's top academic 'managers' they ARE the university - although didn't Granny realise that it had it's own personality in ER? Anyway a wizard (as well as always having a staff with a knob on its end) is always on duty I like to think... :laugh:

Jan 1, 2010
Tonyblack said:
TheMole said:
Tonyblack said:
TheMole said:
well, for one, I don´t know what is "Wagga Hay - It´s the Rye Grass" from the Last Continent supposed to mean - could somebody help? ;)
I can't actually remember that bit - do you have the page or the context the sentence is used in? o_O
oh, I´m sorry - it´s on p. 156 in my Corgi paperback:

Something similar had happened with the kangaroos. There were the pointy ears and they definitely had snouts, but now they were leaning on the bar drinking this thin, strange beer. One of them was wearing a stained vest with the legend 'Wagga Hay – it's the Rye Grass!' just visible under the dirt.
I've been trying to find out more about this and asked on another forum. Thanks Demdike for this link about Ryegrass Staggers, a problem to cattle (and kangaroos) that feed off ryegrass that is infected with a fungus. I'm pretty sure this fungus is Ergot which can have a marked affect on both humans and animals when eaten. Some people now believe that cases of 'possession' and 'witchcraft' were actually cases of ergot poisoning and the victims were in fact 'high' rather than possessed. :)

The first link is to a NZ site, but both Wagga (Wagga) and Hay are towns in New South Wales, Australia and I can only assume they have had this problem there with apparently drunken kangas. ;)
Sorry to drag up an old question but it interested me, I'd always assumed "Wagga hay- It's the Rye grass" was supposed to be the sort of banal slogan that agricultural companies come up with. Rye grass being the basis of most modern pasture for both grazing or hay making.

There is indeed a condition called ryegrass staggers (actually there are 2 - perennial ryegrass staggers more common in New Zealand, and annual ryegrass staggers more common in Australia, neither is actually caused by ergot but by other fungi/bacteria with unpronounceable names (see the links if you're interested), both cause twitching, nodding staggering and collapse.

As far as I can find out the diseases is very rarely associated with feeding hay and from a quick internet search most hay available in NSW is Lucerne hay not ryegrass at all though that may be something to do with the time of year. I can't find any references to Kangaroos being affected but there seems no reason that at least those species which are primarily grazers wouldn't be if they had sufficent access to infected grass.

Interestingly there is a company called "Wagga Hay supplies"

Not really sure how much of this is relevant to Terry's hidden meanings

(And yes I am bored this morning and should find something more productive to do with my time :( )[/url]

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Jane said:
Question: What is with those knitted wizards in jars?

In Going Postal, they had those Post Humous professors in the Wizards' Pantry. Is there supposed to be a stealth pun hiding in there? Because I don't get it. o_O
I have to admit that I have no idea about that one. o_O I think - and maybe someone here can confirm, that a Jar Wizard is something to do with computers.

I agree that there's probably a joke in there somewhere. :laugh:

Yay, sometimes I feel like a chump sometimes when I'm the only one who doesn't get the punchline. I'm not alone!

Maybe it's just there just to say that not every funny thing has to be a poke at something already existent?
*shrugs*

Another question (sorry to bother you guys!):
How come Discworldians spell things weirdly?

Example:
Everythyng is fine. I have got a goode job working for [Mr C.M.O.T. Dibber, Merchant Venturer] and will be makinge lots of money really soon now. I am rememberinge alle your gode advyce and am not drinkynge, in bars or mixsing with Trolls....
Is it a jab at back-in-the-daye spellynge, or do they all just suck at it?
Because they use modern slang like "okay" and syntax 'n stuff.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It's almost certainly a reference to the old fashioned way of spelling things. I think I'm right in saying that before Johnson wote his dictionary in the 18th Century, there was no 'standard' way of spelling things.

Most people on the Disc will have had rudimentary schooling at best and a good deal of them would be illiterate. So spelling would have been pretty much a hit or miss thing. :laugh:

Ah, I see!

Hm, I wonder if Vetinari's going to start to standardize and industrialize everything. He found that axle thing in Thud!, and that was the last I read of it, I think. Maybe he'll train the next generation, beyond learning the guild crafts. I'd like to see Miss Susan in action again. ^__^

User Menu

Newsletter