Any Questions?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Well I confess I looked it up, but the only previous name I could find for Threadneedle Street was Three Needle Street, so someone's being coy (that's not like the Internet). Can someone let me in on the secret please? :oops:

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
:laugh:
I wonder how often there were embarrsing mix-ups with gents looking for a seamstress (of either variety) back then. There's so much innuendo that could've took place.

Colin

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
North Warwickshire
Tonyblack said:
Jinx said:
I wonder how often there were embarrsing mix-ups with gents looking for a seamstress (of either variety) back then. There's so much innuendo that could've took place.
Like with Sandra Battye in Night Watch. :laugh:
... that was superbly written ... and much appreciated by those of us who have met Sandra Battye in 'real life'. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Colin said:
Tonyblack said:
Jinx said:
Like with Sandra Battye in Night Watch. :laugh:
... that was superbly written ... and much appreciated by those of us who have met Sandra Battye in 'real life'. ;)
Yes indeed! :laugh:

Pita

Lance-Constable
Sep 7, 2008
I've been wondering about the Latin in the books.
Can people interpret it from different books, mainly the watch books?
For example, in Men at Arms, Vetinari tells Carrot to check what "politician" means. What does it mean?

Jarmara

Lance-Corporal
Aug 1, 2008
West Yorkshire
www.brisinga.co.uk
Pretty much, I've never learned real Latin and Terry does tend to use his own brand of Disc-latin but -ian at the end of word indicates 'belonging to' therefore Politician means 'man belonging to the City' which does seem to sum up Vetinari's relationship with Ankh-Morpork.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think a real Latin scholar would throw up his hands in dismay at some of Terry's 'dog' Latin. But with a little bit of work the meaning can come across I think. A bit like Nanny Ogg's 'foreign'. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
In Monstrous Regiment Lt. Blouse has a horse named Thalacephalos. It's (I'm pretty sure) a parody of Alexander the Great's horse, Bucephalus (which I think means 'bull-headed').

Now as far as I can work out, that means something like 'empty-headed' - would that be right? o_O

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter