Any Questions?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I see there are a lot of members here from outside the UK and some of Terry's references are very British. Or maybe you missed a reference because you are too young. ;)

Let's use this thread to try and answer any questions you may have about the books.

Not saying that we'll have the answers, but we can probably work out most of them. :laugh:

LadyL

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Frankfurt/Main
A very good idea, Im sure I will come up with something soon.

However, if some of you more or less english speaking people
have questions to Terrys often used german phrases, I try to give a helping hand or hint :laugh: but please ensure its not Latin, thats too far away ;)

LadyL

Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Frankfurt/Main
Yes exactly :)

And I was much surprised to find the counterpart to Sergeant Colon

in Sergeant Doppelpunkt (Amazing Maurice) seeing that Doppelpunkt and

Colon have the same meaning. :p

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
LadyL said:
Yes exactly :)

And I was much surprised to find the counterpart to Sergeant Colon

in Sergeant Doppelpunkt (Amazing Maurice) seeing that Doppelpunkt and

Colon have the same meaning. :p
I didn't know that! Thanks Lydia. :laugh:

LadyL said:
(...) seeing that Doppelpunkt and Colon have the same meaning.
Thanks for that info! ^__^

I'm sure I will come up with some questions too! I have to admit that dictionaries, encyclopedias and wikipedia have been a great help when I've come up against something I couldn't understand. I think there are references to some people I couldn't figure out, so I'll look them up and come ask!

(On my part, I could try answer questions on the plate-smashing, grape-juice-drinking, squid-eating and running-around-naked-after-a-bath, habits of Ephebe! xD)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
There are a lot of puns based on a sort of personal Esperanto that Nanny speaks. Sort of a mixture of French, Spanish and Italian with bits of English inserted.

The one that always makes me chuckle is when they try to book into the Hotel Nova Cancies. :laugh:

VesuvianRuin

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Tonyblack said:
There are a lot of puns based on a sort of personal Esperanto that Nanny speaks. Sort of a mixture of French, Spanish and Italian with bits of English inserted.

The one that always makes me chuckle is when they try to book into the Hotel Nova Cancies. :laugh:
Of course (I am a muppet at times!). Yes, Nanny's attempts at 'Uno bed roomo toot suite me old mucker etc etc' :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

GREEBO

Jul 28, 2008
manchester
What was Terry reading whilst writing thief of time as there are some very Zen like and buddist references, or should I put what were his references from and does anybody know how he researches his material, or is he just a vat of knowledge, and he draws on this while writing and to which he applies his wit.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
GREEBO said:
What was Terry reading whilst writing thief of time as there are some very Zen like and buddist references, or should I put what were his references from and does anybody know how he researches his material, or is he just a vat of knowledge, and he draws on this while writing and to which he applies his wit.
There's bits of Karate Kid and the Kung Fu TV series in there that's for sure.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
TheMole said:
well, for one, I don´t know what is "Wagga Hay - It´s the Rye Grass" from the Last Continent supposed to mean - could somebody help? ;)
I can't actually remember that bit - do you have the page or the context the sentence is used in? o_O

I'm assuming it's something to do with Wagga Wagga a city in New South Wales and the fact that hay fever and asthma are common there mainly due to rye grass pollen. But I could be barking up the wrong gum tree here.

Maybe our Aussie friends here can help. :laugh:

Tonyblack said:
TheMole said:
well, for one, I don´t know what is "Wagga Hay - It´s the Rye Grass" from the Last Continent supposed to mean - could somebody help? ;)
I can't actually remember that bit - do you have the page or the context the sentence is used in? o_O
oh, I´m sorry - it´s on p. 156 in my Corgi paperback:

Something similar had happened with the kangaroos. There were the pointy ears and they definitely had snouts, but now they were leaning on the bar drinking this thin, strange beer. One of them was wearing a stained vest with the legend 'Wagga Hay – it's the Rye Grass!' just visible under the dirt.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Can someone tell me what "Dear Jason unt so witer" means? It's the start of one of Nanny Ogg's postcards home in Witches Abroad. I think I got most of the references, but you never know!

Dotsie

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Dotsie said:
Can someone tell me what "Dear Jason unt so witer" means? It's the start of one of Nanny Ogg's postcards home in Witches Abroad. I think I got most of the references, but you never know!

Dotsie
I've been trying to run it through a German translator, as I'm pretty sure it's Nanny trying her 'foreign' - trouble is Nanny doesn't spell too well. :laugh:

The closest I can come to is "unt so weiter" which I think means "and so on" - which would sort of make sense - "Dear Jason and so on" as she is writing to everone back home.

Maybe LadyL can confirm this - or anyone here who sprechans de Deutch :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter