Anyone else read the dune books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

stormblade

Lance-Constable
Sep 18, 2008
uk
im a great fan of the dune books have read all but the last (was waiting for paperback (see othe post re being a cheapskate))

a great story to follow thou hard to get your head round some of the later books

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've actually got the first one sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. A good friend sent me a copy along with a bunch of other books and I simply haven't got around to reading it yet.

So many books - so little time. :(

stormblade

Lance-Constable
Sep 18, 2008
uk
the first one is a long hard read but when you get into the next few they seam to fly by

its not often you see a son take over the writing of the father but they do it so well

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Yes I have read them but it was a long time ago though. The books are fairly good SciFi with some mysticism thrown in, last book has a weird ending if I recall correctly (I will not spoil it by printing the synopsis of the book). The movie was ok but not a touch on the book.

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
I think there was a TV series but the film I watched had Sting and Patrick Stewart in it, entertaining but not as good as the first book which was as far as the story line got...........the end of the first book, but not true to the story lines ending of the first book.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I've read the series up until Frank Herbert died (so 6?) but haven't revisited those for ages and didn't know that his son was continuing the series. I found them quite frustrating in ways but prophetic in others - in Chapterhouse (I think if that's the last of Frank's works) the bit at the end when Idaho escapes with the catlady/renegade Mother Superior and they boldy go into hyperspace or the end of the universe - or both and meet the weird old man and woman? Anyway didn't they have something like that in Deep Space Nine - the creator-type characters?

Everyone borrows off everyone else of course. David (Twin Peaks) Lynch directed the Sting*/Kyle (Sex and the City) McClachlan/Patrick Stewart motion picture which got panned critically and at the box-office, but has since become a cult classic - the sandworms are hopeless now in these CGI days but they were pretty scary at the time...

*What a stinky Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen he made - though nice to look at! :laugh:

lawrenson

Lance-Constable
Jul 30, 2008
Hi,

to be fair, I thought the remake by the Sci-Fi channel was pretty good too.

The follow-up wasnt however...

Cheers,
Karen

rissoles

Lance-Constable
Feb 4, 2009
www.raikothan.com
Dune, the first book, is a standalone masterpiece of SF/Fantasy. I first read it when I was a boy and have re read it many times. I would THOROUGHLY recommend it to anyone remotely inclined to that genre.

The second and third books were not bad but not a patch on the first. They reminded me more of someone rambling but that is me.

Frank Herbert wrote many fine novels and is well worth investigating.

So sayeth Rissoles, the fifth day of February 2009!

boohoo

Lance-Constable
Sep 18, 2008
just next door
Read the 1st book years ago then again more recently, I've got the children of Dune and read them a few times. The books were great, the films/tv in their own right were good but didn't match up to the expectations I had, this is probably true for most of the books I read (I think David Jason is one of the best but he didn't do it for me in the Colour of Magic).

Then again I did read The DeVinci Code and seen the Film because everyone was going on about it. I thought both of them were pants but the film probably shaded it because the thing was rewritten by some proper writers .

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
stormblade said:
im a great fan of the dune books have read all but the last (was waiting for paperback (see othe post re being a cheapskate))

a great story to follow thou hard to get your head round some of the later books
I have, but only the first 4 or 5. I usually don't like dirivative books by deceased author's children.

I liked Dune and Children of Dune the most. God Emperor of Dune was good, but I felt that Dune Messiah kind of dragged on.

I just wish that he'd written more about the son's adventures with the second skin; I thought that was a really cool idea.

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I've actually just started on Dune. Haven't seen the film or mini-series. A friend recommended it. In fact what he really did was put the first book in my hand and say "Here. Read this!"

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
chris.ph said:
what about the pern books kakaze as todd, annes son has taken over the reigns and is doing a good job as well so far
You mean the dragonrider books by McCaffery?

My mom really likes them, but I just couldn't get interested. Interesting idea about the planet orbiting multiple suns in an erratic orbit that ocationally brings it within trans-migrating distance with a harmful alien lifeform.

I wasn't aware that Anne had passed away and that her son was writing for her now.

The problem is, every author has a different "tone" and, even when their quality is as good as the original's, the style just doesn't match.

As an example, I enjoyed reading "Gone With The Wind", and I also liked "Scarlett", but the Scarlett in "Scarlett" just didn't seem like the same girl as the one in "Gone with the wind". I think it would have been better if her daughter had written about a minor character in the first book. Perhaps Scarlett's son, Wade, or maybe elaborated on how the father, Gerald, came to America and became a plantation owner.

User Menu

Newsletter