Apart for Terry who do you consider the best writers?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Feb 21, 2011
Philip K. Dick
Robert E. Howard
Alex Garland
Anthony Burgess (although I find he can be too self-indulgent at times)
Alexandre Dumas
Lewis Carrol

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Currently on a bit of a Philip K Dick buzz and have been gradually working my way through his books. Next on the list is counter clock world.
Big fan of Lewis Carroll as well.
They have a great Alice shop across from Christchurch Uni in Oxford which was bloody brilliant. :laugh:

Feb 21, 2011
pip said:
Currently on a bit of a Philip K Dick buzz and have been gradually working my way through his books. Next on the list is counter clock world.
Haven't read that one yet. Let me know how it is! :laugh:

Feb 21, 2011
Tonyblack said:
I preferred Dick's version of Blade Runner (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) to the movie version. The protagonist was a much more complex man. :laugh:
Couldn't agree more. Never really understood the praise for Blade Runner. It strikes me as fairly vacuous compaed to Dick's novel.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
I've read Shades of Grey which was absolutely brilliant . The missus has read the whole lot of his other stuff and is a huge fan . Read the Eyre Affair a while back and it is really good.
He's a good turn of phrase and an interesting sense of humour so definitely worth a read. I'll be reading the rest of his books when i get time.

btlfannz

Lance-Corporal
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Hey Pip
I was quite interested to read that you are in the middle of the Gormenghast
trilogy. I can remember (vaguely) watching a tv adaption of it one time (Zoe Wanamaker as I recall) and it certainly had a fantastic background to the story.

Apparently I've read that the BBC lightened up the storyline to make it less dark. How did you find the first book? was it very heavy??

btlfannz

Lance-Corporal
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
DaveC said:
pip said:
Jasper FForde .
What are they like? Saw some in a charity shop but was unsure.
Dave
Jasper Fforde is definitely an author who polarises people and I have read some scathing attacks on his books by a number of the Forum reviewers.
For my part I (happily) started on the first book (The Eyre Affair) and have never looked back. I've now read everyone except the Sahdes Of Grey which is my next book purchase.

I find that the whole concept of fictional characters being able to flit from a well known book into the treal world and back again really original and a facinating concept.

To each his own I suppose.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
btlfannz said:
Hey Pip
I was quite interested to read that you are in the middle of the Gormenghast
trilogy. I can remember (vaguely) watching a tv adaption of it one time (Zoe Wanamaker as I recall) and it certainly had a fantastic background to the story.

Apparently I've read that the BBC lightened up the storyline to make it less dark. How did you find the first book? was it very heavy??
I remember the adaption myself. It had that twat from the Tudors in it.
Peake was an illustrator so his descriptions are quite in depth but this is great for building up an atmosphere.
Its heavy purely because of the level of description used.
It is also quite dark. The first book isn't near as long as the second and is definitely very interesting. The one i'm on now is exceptionally short.
The main reason i took a break is pretty much the length of the second installment.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
btlfannz said:
DaveC said:
pip said:
Jasper FForde .
What are they like? Saw some in a charity shop but was unsure.
Dave
Jasper Fforde is definitely an author who polarises people and I have read some scathing attacks on his books by a number of the Forum reviewers.
For my part I (happily) started on the first book (The Eyre Affair) and have never looked back. I've now read everyone except the Sahdes Of Grey which is my next book purchase.

I find that the whole concept of fictional characters being able to flit from a well known book into the treal world and back again really original and a facinating concept.

To each his own I suppose.
Shades of Greyis completely different from the other books.
No characters from fiction at all. In saying that I thought it was brilliant.
Great pace to it and main characters are very interesting .
The 'kids' one he released, The last Dragonslayer is worth a read as well.

btlfannz

Lance-Corporal
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
The 'kids' one he released, The last Dragonslayer is worth a read as well.

Yeah, I've just finished that one and thoroughly enjoyed it. I get the feel that we've not seen the last of this young lady.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter