Apart for Terry who do you consider the best writers?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Other books

I knew there'd be some kindred spirits here. This makes me think I'm bound to like at least some of the other authors and books mentioned in this thread.
I've still got 'Virtual Light' and 'Idoru' myself (as I mentioned in another thread, all my books, records and CDs got stolen a while back - just makes you realize how much stuff you accumulate over the years).

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Re: Other books

NickPretzel said:
I knew there'd be some kindred spirits here. This makes me think I'm bound to like at least some of the other authors and books mentioned in this thread.
I've still got 'Virtual Light' and 'Idoru' myself (as I mentioned in another thread, all my books, records and CDs got stolen a while back - just makes you realize how much stuff you accumulate over the years).
Did you have a break-in, when I lived in London I had some mates in Hackney.

Stolen books

Not exactly. It's a bit of a long story, but the long and the short of it is that my ex (my son's mother) is a junkie and she took the keys to my flat while I was away and stole just about anything she could carry. The really annoying thing is that there were some real rarities (e.g. a Charlie Parker 10" recorded on the eve of his first nervous breakdown) in the collection and, as a musician, the records and CDs were my legacy to my son, in a way (there were some 250 odd LPs and as many CDs. Even some of the CDs have proven really difficult to find).

More books

deldaisy said:
Yeah I like Gore Vidal. He gives an amazing interview too.

Edit: Don't edit it hun... just do another post.
Doesn't he just! I find his wit scathing; and of course. Who wants to trawl through an old post for changes, especially when it's as long mine was. Which leads me neatly to my first addendum:
  • Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance - by Robert M(aynard) Pirsig. I first read this book when I was 14 and then re-read it some fifteen years ago, realizing what a profound and lasting influence it had had on me. I've also read 'Lila: An Inquiry into Morals', which was also very good, but lacked the impact that the first book had. That's not a criticism, just that I was much younger when I read the first one :)
  • The Star Diaries - by Stanislaw Lem. Some wonderfully funny short stories featuring Ijon Tichy. I particularly liked "The Eighth Voyage", which begins with a future Ijon crashing through his bookcase to convince the present Ijon to take a job, much to the present Ijon's annoyance. The only way he can stop his future self from repeatedly crashing through the bookcase is by accepting the job. Naturally the story ends with Ijon crashing through his bookcase to convince his past self to take the job :cool:. Other books of his I've read include 'The Futurological Congress' and 'Return from the Stars'.
There was another one, but I've forgotten what it was now. :oops:

Ragdoll

Lance-Constable
Jul 22, 2011
Other than Pratchett, the authors I keep coming back to are:

Asimov - Foundation simply rocks and I'm a huge follower of his Frankenstein theory :)
H.P.Lovecraft - the Dreamlands segment is simply brilliant
Dan Simmons - some of the best world images stems from him. Hoping the upcoming movie(s?) are worth watching

Many other fantastic writers are out there, but this short list are those I keep coming back to (besides TP), and are those I pester friends with, when they need a new read :twisted:

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter