Audio Books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Sign up
Apr 29, 2009
11,929
0
2,525
London
#1
Anyone got any Discworld audio books?

I was having a rummage round Play.com and they appear to be read by Tony Robinson, and reviews are split as to whether he's good or bad.

I'd like to hear your opinions, before I dip my toe in the Ankh.
 

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
8,923
102
2,850
#2
You should have a look here

Should be helpful :laugh:
 
Apr 29, 2009
11,929
0
2,525
London
#3
Hmmm.

Where can you get the Stephen Briggs versions?

I'd very much like to download them to my MP4. It might give me the incentive to go back to the gym! 8)
 

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
28,908
166
3,425
Cardiff, Wales
#4
The Tony Robinson ones are abridged. Stephen Briggs reads some of the books unabridged, but he doesn't read them all. Some are read by Nigel Planer and I believe by Celia Imrie. I'm not totally sure that all the books are available on CD yet, some are (I think) on tape.

You might try your local library as I've found a few of them in mine. :)
 

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
1,213
0
2,600
25
Switzerland
artsytarts.tumblr.com
#5
Well, I've got three read by him. He reads it very funny and entertaining, but a lot of the characters sound very much alike.
He reads better in later audiobooks, so I'd buy one of the newer ones, if you want an abridged version.

The unabridged versions (at least the newer ones) are read by Stephen briggs and if I'm honest, I like him the best. He's a brilliant reader.
So, if you want an unabridged version, I'd order it directly from the publisher (Isis Audiobooks I think) because others just take an eternety.
I waited for three months for that site to tell me, they couldn't send me Night Watch :x . Then I went to the internet site of the publisher, and three weeks later, it was here. SO GO TO THE PUBLISHER OR OTHERWISE YOU WILL WAIT FOR NOTHING! :eek: ;)

I hope this was a help. ;)
 
Jul 27, 2008
16,563
158
3,175
Stirlingshire, Scotland
#6
Bouncy for S. Briggs audio books are from ISIS Audio. link below.

I am just listening to Wee Free Men it's funny read by SB.Ii'VE BEEN TRYING TO GET OUT ALL DAY,and I am still here must get an MP3 player using my compy at the mo to listen.


www.isis-publishing.co.uk
 

bogieman

Constable
Jul 26, 2008
79
0
1,650
#7
All Terry's books are available here.

http://www.audible.co.uk

I have nearly all of them and they are fantastic, I avoid Tony Robinson as he reads the abridged version's and they cut out far to many bits for my liking. It was quite some time before I knew about Buggy Squires as they cut him completely from the abridged version. Hope this helps.
 
#8
Who's Wee Dug said:
Bouncy for S. Briggs audio books are from ISIS Audio. link below.

I am just listening to Wee Free Men it's funny read by SB.Ii'VE BEEN TRYING TO GET OUT ALL DAY,and I am still here must get an MP3 player using my compy at the mo to listen.


www.isis-publishing.co.uk
My hubby and I discovered the Family Dollar store, not to be confused with the 99 cent store. We each got MP3 players with a gig of storage upgradeable to 2 gigs with a chip for $20 and he wound up with an mp3 video player that charges up it's own batteries by plugging in the usb port in the puter for $30, so when he has to go to doctor appts with me he watches movies on a 1.5 inch screen. :laugh: :laugh:
 

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
28,908
166
3,425
Cardiff, Wales
#12
I got my MP3 player from British Telecom free for renewing my contract. They sent me one and I had it for about a week and it stopped working, so I phoned up and complained and they sent me another one. That also stopped working. I complained again and they sent me a third one.

I then discovered that if I poked a paperclip into the reset the first two started to work again just fine. So I've now got three. :laugh:
 

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
1,213
0
2,600
25
Switzerland
artsytarts.tumblr.com
#13
bogieman said:
All Terry's books are available here.

http://www.audible.co.uk

I have nearly all of them and they are fantastic, I avoid Tony Robinson as he reads the abridged version's and they cut out far to many bits for my liking. It was quite some time before I knew about Buggy Squires as they cut him completely from the abridged version. Hope this helps.
I'll soon have a lot more audiobooks. It's not even that expensive :laugh:. Thanks for the link, bogieman!

They cut buggy out?? I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!
 
Aug 29, 2008
559
0
2,425
Bridgwater Somerset
#14
bogieman, I agree...yep that's the same site I use.. very easy and reliable and I too avoid the Abridged books... what's the point of decaf books when for the same price you can get the full rich bodied ones. :eek: :laugh:
 
#15
Tonyblack said:
I got my MP3 player from British Telecom free for renewing my contract. They sent me one and I had it for about a week and it stopped working, so I phoned up and complained and they sent me another one. That also stopped working. I complained again and they sent me a third one.

I then discovered that if I poked a paperclip into the reset the first two started to work again just fine. So I've now got three. :laugh:
LMAO... well, at Family Dollar the ones you get for $20 work very well, and Wee Dug, I would just pony up the extra $10 for the $30 mp3/video player since the ones here have their own battery which recharges when plugged into your puter. ;) You can store pics as well as video or mp3 formats.
 

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
28,908
166
3,425
Cardiff, Wales
#17
Who's Wee Dug said:
Mmmm
just wondering if they would work in the UK voltage wise if pluged in to any power source.
They should do Dug. When I take my MP3s to Tucson I recharge them using Sharlene's computer. You plug them in via a USB. I've never had a problem with any USB items that I've used on both side of the ocean. :laugh: Just don't try plugging them in at the mains. :eek:
 
Jul 27, 2008
16,563
158
3,175
Stirlingshire, Scotland
#19
Thanks Tony I know I cant plug in any wall socket as it 240v against 110vjust was not sure about the computer as it's 240v even though it Usb.
 

Foul ole Ron

Lance-Constable
Jun 5, 2009
18
0
2,150
#20
Cheery said:
bogieman said:
All Terry's books are available here.

http://www.audible.co.uk

I have nearly all of them and they are fantastic, I avoid Tony Robinson as he reads the abridged version's and they cut out far to many bits for my liking. It was quite some time before I knew about Buggy Squires as they cut him completely from the abridged version. Hope this helps.
I'll soon have a lot more audiobooks. It's not even that expensive :laugh:. Thanks for the link, bogieman!

They cut buggy out?? I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!
Audible.co.uk is good & I have a monthly subscription.

But I dont understand why they are so far behind the USA site Audible.com with their releases.

Unseen Acadenicals is out only in the awful abridged format in UK but the unabridged version is already out in the states.

I dont think audible.co.uk has Nation in the unabridged format yet.
 

Book of the Month

Good Omens

"Pratchett’s wackiness collaborates with Gaiman’s morbid humour; the result is a humanist delight to be savoured and read again and again."

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter