Audio Books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 26, 2008
I got fed up with Audible and have started to buy the CD versions from Amazon dot COM. The shipping is not ridicules from the states and I get them quicker :p than if they had been posted here in the UK.

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Audible.co.uk do not, infact, have all of Terry's books in Unabridged format at this time.

I have been trying to get Night Watch,The Wee Free Men and have asked about Terry's latest Book in Unabridged formats and have been basically told various reasons for them not having these which have included the excuses that they may not have the rights for them, a file was corrupt and they may or may not get the rights for Unseen......!

Not happy with them as it was the banner on their site stating they had the full set that got Me to join in the first place..... :x

UK customers get stuffed again! :eek:

Jul 26, 2008
mspanners said:
Audible.co.uk do not, infact, have all of Terry's books in Unabridged format at this time.

I have been trying to get Night Watch,The Wee Free Men and have asked about Terry's latest Book in Unabridged formats and have been basically told various reasons for them not having these which have included the excuses that they may not have the rights for them, a file was corrupt and they may or may not get the rights for Unseen......!

Not happy with them as it was the banner on their site stating they had the full set that got Me to join in the first place..... :x

If you move your account to Audible dot COM Night watch is there unabridged and I have got it no problem.

Foul ole Ron

Lance-Constable
Jun 5, 2009
bogieman said:
mspanners said:

If you move your account to Audible dot COM Night watch is there unabridged and I have got it no problem.
How do you go about moving your account?

When you fill in UK in where you live you get automatically forwarded to audible.co.uk.

"Because of regional restrictions, you must make your purchases from and register at the audible.co.uk Web site instead of audible.com."

Foul ole Ron

Lance-Constable
Jun 5, 2009
bogieman said:
close the old one and start a new one with dot com :laugh:
I tried that but as soon as you state you're UK based
You get "Because of regional restrictions, you must make your purchases from and register at the audible.co.uk Web site instead of audible.com."

I thought about lying & saying I'm based elsewhere but that might cause some discrepancies with the bank details.

mspanners said:
USB charge ok but no way direct into a wall socket, not sure if the Yanks use three pin plugs like us but i doubt if the voltages and frequancy are compatible..

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/If_someone_bo ... K_use_240V

:eek:
50 Hz and 110 volt 60 Hz are NOT compatible in any way shape or form. SO DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

USB ports are standard worldwide with computers being such wonderful, hateful, sucky things as they are.

Foul ole Ron said:
bogieman said:
close the old one and start a new one with dot com :laugh:
I tried that but as soon as you state you're UK based
You get "Because of regional restrictions, you must make your purchases from and register at the audible.co.uk Web site instead of audible.com."

I thought about lying & saying I'm based elsewhere but that might cause some discrepancies with the bank details.
Make friends with one of us Yanks... nudge, nudge, wink, wink and Bob's yer uncle. There are a lot of us to choose from on this site. Or even Pooh could possibly be coerced with day-glo paint. :twisted:

Jul 26, 2008
Guards! Guards!: Discworld, Book 8 (Unabridged)
Terry Pratchett

17 Visitors' Rating

£17.19
Buy Now!

Says it is available on dot co dot uk??

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Most of the Books are on the UK site ARE in Unabridged format BUT not all.......

Night Watch

The Wee Free Men

Only in Abridged formats......... NO THANKS! :eek:

And at the moment Unseen only in Abridged to......... No good.

Sorry but I don't see the point in getting Half a Book...

And Tony Robinson is a terrible reader... :(

In my opinion...

windle poons

Lance-Constable
Sep 15, 2008
Hertford
The Amazing Maurice is also only the abridged version read by tony robinson even if its listed as unabridged I submitted a complaining review of it but for some reason it never got put on the site
Bob

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
You are quite right Windle Pons, I have tried to download Maurice and although it is in my Library as Book 1 of 2 of the UNABRIDGED Book it downloads the ABRIDGED version...............

I am getting totally *issed off with the UK site. I have sent them yet another message requesting where the UNABRIDGED version that is said to be in my Library and am awaiting a response.

I also mentioned to them that I am considering contacting the Advertising Standards Agency about their misleading 'Complete Terry Pratchett Collection' banner on their site.

I do not hold out much hope that they will fix problems with site and not much hope they will get the UNABRIDGED Night Watch,Maurice or Wee Free Men (or for that matter Unseen) any time soon.

I will use my Two credits this month then cancel my subs.

Advice to anyone else considering using these people is don't.

Shop around and you could find these titles on the net.

Foul ole Ron

Lance-Constable
Jun 5, 2009
mspanners said:
You are quite right Windle Pons, I have tried to download Maurice and although it is in my Library as Book 1 of 2 of the UNABRIDGED Book it downloads the ABRIDGED version...............

I am getting totally *issed off with the UK site. I have sent them yet another message requesting where the UNABRIDGED version that is said to be in my Library and am awaiting a response.

I also mentioned to them that I am considering contacting the Advertising Standards Agency about their misleading 'Complete Terry Pratchett Collection' banner on their site.

I do not hold out much hope that they will fix problems with site and not much hope they will get the UNABRIDGED Night Watch,Maurice or Wee Free Men (or for that matter Unseen) any time soon.

I will use my Two credits this month then cancel my subs.

Advice to anyone else considering using these people is don't.

Shop around and you could find these titles on the net.
I think audible.co.uk is terrible is this respect.

What possible justification have they for holding release of these unabridged titles?

I really want to purchase a copy of Unseen Academicals (Unabridged) but here in the UK there doesn't seem any way I can nor is there likely to be anytime soon judging by the fact you cant get a lot of his other recent books in unabridged format.

It's totally senseless, I dont see the point of abridged audiobooks.

I will probably go the illegal path & download it on a torrent & so Terry Pratchett, HarperCollins & Audible will all miss out on my custom.

I'm loathe to do this but if I cant purchase it legally?

EDIT

Got it via rapidshare download, sorry Harper audio & Audible but you fucked up!

Good For You!! I am so sorry I could not help, but audio books aren't my gig yet, me eyebulbs will have to get much worse. Heck, now that I have started back therapy and all these other doctors, I feel like I have gone from 0mph to 200mph every fisking day lately, and will be for the next 4 months at least according to the therapist. you have to in order to get any REAL good from it. I want to DANCE again. Shake, Shake, Shake,... Shake, Shake, Shake,.. Shake your Booty, Shake your Booty! :twisted:

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
It is tempting to use a P2P but I feel it is ripping Terry off, He put in the effort to write the Books so should get the profits from them.

But I can see where you are coming from and I find it annoying that the Audio Book is available else where.

Here for example.

http://www.amazon.com/Unseen-Academical ... 0061868299

Why the delay in the UK?

Just found out the UK release date for the Unabridged version Read by S Briggs is out on Dec 1st.......... nearly 6 Months after the US release!

Cheery

Sergeant
Jun 22, 2009
Switzerland
jellymish-art.tumblr.com
I've just got a question about audiobooks and I'd be grateful if anyone could answer quickly (it's for a present): Are there any unabridged MP3 downloads for Discworld audiobooks around?

Thing is: I'd like to get an audiobook for a friend of mine and after all the trouble I've had with mine (it took them almost five months to get here) I would be relieved to find a easier (and shorter) way.

I know it's a bit late for this sort of stuff now, since Christmas is two days away, but I've just found out that my friend's a great discworld and audiobook fan (yes, I've found out very early :rolleyes: :laugh: ). It would be the perfect present. (and she doesn't expect it at all. She thinks I'm going to get her a card and a box of chocs :laugh: )

User Menu

Newsletter