Bernard Cornwell Saxon Books coming to BBC2 this week.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Thursday is the first part of a new BBC2 TV series based on the Saxon books by Bernard Cornwell. (9pm I believe).

Here's an interview with Bernard on the subject of the series.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I watched the first part of this series on the iPlayer and so far I am impressed. I'm also currently reading the book and the story is pretty close to the TV show so far. Some of these characters, such as Ubba and his brother Ivar, are real historical characters.

Here's the latest character profile for Ubba.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think I have probably made a mistake by reading the first two books while watching this. The story in the books is so, so much better. However, the TV series is well done and feels right. I'm certainly going to watch it all. Anyone who is enjoying the series, take my advice and recommendation and read the books. Wait until the TV series is finished or you'll get confused by the inconsistencies - but do read the books, you won't regret it. :)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Thankfully I have read the books so enjoying it. The atmosphere is right even if the content is changed in parts.
Loved the shield wall

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Someone on another forum is moaning, albeit light heartedly, because the language used is modern. One response was that if they used the language of the time, no one would understand it or watch due to the need for subtitles. :laugh: (Apparently, some of the swear words do have their derivative from that era, btw.)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Leofric frequently calls Uhtred an "earsling" - a thing that falls out of an arse. I love that word. :mrgreen:

I am enjoying it. I think the casting of Alfred is really good.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter