Bernard Cornwell

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
That is an expensive book, Tony.
I have never read any of Bernard Cornwell's books, though I have seen them for sale at car boots. I'm not keen on war books & have never watched Sharpe on T.V. though OH does.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
*jaw hits ground with an almighty crash at the price!* :eek: Blinkety flip Tony! Are these goats from the Gucci herd? :rolleyes:

All joking aside I suppose there's a good chance that if you admire several authors writing ,then they might also do the same as there's likely a link in that they deal with themes in a similar or complementary way perhaps or explore similar lines of interest and/or philosophy? Not an easy concept to sink in, but they do both use historical themes and translate them into themes that we still recognise today even if one works in fantasy and the other in the round world and in an appropriate setting?

Tiffany - even if you don't read BC's books do check out the TV shows - Sean Bean is wonderful in that role! :twisted:

Nienna

Lance-Constable
Dec 15, 2008
Northern Ireland
I've been meaning to get into his books - I've been getting into history quite recently so they look v. interesting! I never knew he wrote Sharpe though! :laugh: Thanks for the recommendation.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Believe me the Sharpe boks are far better than the TV series. We've had die hard Sean Bean fans join Hookton.com who, once they've read the books, think they are much better. ;)

NightOwl

Lance-Constable
Feb 22, 2009
massive fan of Cornwell - the Sharpe series were superb for an insight into that period as were his other books - I love the way he gets the reader to understand the period without being too didactic.

9.5/10 so far as I am concerned.

chuckie

Lance-Corporal
Jul 25, 2008
Corby
Juat finished my first Cornwell book "Sharps fortress", which i believe is the third book set in India. Really enjoyed it and will definitelyread more, but is it better to read them in order?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
chuckie said:
Juat finished my first Cornwell book "Sharps fortress", which i believe is the third book set in India. Really enjoyed it and will definitelyread more, but is it better to read them in order?
They weren't written in order. The first book he wrote was Sharpe's Gold. He then went back and did the back story with Rifle's and Eagle and when he got to Devil, he went right back again to Sharpe's days in India with Tiger and then filled in some gaps in the original books.

So they can be read in chronological order - and that makes most sense, especially if any of the main characters die.

Here's a chronological list of the books and short stories that I compiled. :)

Personally I think he only went back to the India books so he could resurrect Hakeswill. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Just to correct that previous post:

Sharpe's Rifles was written after Sharpe's Siege. I've now added publish dates to the list available on the link. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Reading them in chronological order makes a degree of sense, but is not essential. You do see how Sharpe's character develops though. How he grows in confidence and what he's looking for out life and how the more battles he's in, the more he feels vulnerable. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
For all Bernard Cornwell fans - his latest book 'The Fort' is out in the UK today! I've just been to Tesco to get two copies - one for me and one to take to Tucson for Sharlene. Tesco has them for £12, but I had to get an assistant to get them from the stock room as they weren't on display.

The book was originally going to be called 'Captivate, Kill or Destroy in the UK, but the publishers and book wholesalers insisted on it being given the US title of 'The Fort'. It's set during the American Revolutionary War. Here's a blurb about it (with an explanation of the original title).

Captivate, Kill or Destroy (a quote from the official orders given to the Massachusetts Forces) is about the Penobscot Expedition of 1779. A small British garrison had been established in what is now Maine (and was then part of Massachusetts), and the rebel government in Boston was determined to expel that garrison. Seven hundred British redcoats were in an unfinished fort, Fort George, and the harbour beneath the fort was protected by three sloops-of-war. Against this the State of Massachusetts sent an army of around 900 men and a fleet of 42 ships, half of which were warships. In this early scene a handful of rebel ships feel out the British harbour defences. The Lieutenant John Moore who watches the fight is the famous Sir John Moore, of Corunna fame. This was his first experience of battle, when he was 18 years old.
You can read more HERE (if your web filter lets you). ;)

Paul Revere was commander of the land artillery in this battle and he was charged with cowardice and insubordination. He was cleared of all charges during a court martial and then left the military and took up silversmithing. :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Sorry I'm so late getting back to this. The book is excellent! :laugh: It's somewhat different to his other books in that he doesn't create too many fictitious characters.

The story is gripping throughout and I had a job to put it to one side. Most Americans (it seems) don't know about this part of the War of Independence as most of it was taking place further south at the time. Our friends from Mass. (Jeff and Doug) should enjoy it as although this is now part of Maine, it was then part of Massachusetts. The British were setting up a fort to protect Americans who wanted to stay loyal to the King and they planned to call the settlement New Ireland.

Cornwell, although a Brit, lives in that part of the world. It's a great tale and well worth checking out. The Penobscot Incident has been described as the biggest naval defeat America suffered until Pearl Harbour. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The last week or so I've been creating a Google Map of all the places mentioned in the (so far) five book series about Alfred the Great. I've included tags that give the Saxon or Viking names of the places along with their current names.

It's still a work in progress, but I'd welcome feedback - especially from anyone who has read the books. :laugh:

meerkat

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jan 16, 2010
Pocklington East Riding Yorkshire
Enjoyed the Last Kingdom. Not sdure if I want to continue reading on. Might get the next one from the library and see what I think.

p.s. There is a large collection of Viking names and a lot else on the DreamWorlds website under 'history myths and legends'! ;)

User Menu

Newsletter