Bernard Cornwell

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Can I suggest that we start threads for our favourite non-Pratchett authors?

I'm a great fan of the writings of historical novelist, Bernard Cornwell. he's probably best known through the Sharpe TV series - although everyone that I know (and I administer a Bernard Cornwell message board) says that they really prefer the books when they read them.

Other subjects he's covered are: The 100 Years War, Arthur, Alfred the Great, The American Civil War and various other periods including the building of Stonehenge.

I would thoroughly recommend his books to anyone. :laugh:

And to top it all, Bernard Cornwell has confessed that his favourite ficticious character from another author's books is Commander Sam Vimes. ;)

Twankydillo

Lance-Constable
Jul 26, 2008
Salford, England
I've only read the Sharpe books. I found one on holiday once and then ran to the nearest book shop to buy some more. Then when I got home I raided my nearest library for more!

I didn't think they'd be my things. For some reason, I was expecting them to be slightly more clever bodice-rippers, but they're really not like that. I'm glad I read them.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
You might want to check out the Warlord Trilogy by Cornwell

The Winter King
Enemy of God and
Excalibur

They are set in Dark Ages Britain and tell the story of Arthur and his fight against the Saxons.

Probably the best series he's written. :laugh:

Statsman

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Here
I'm always surprised that he's not done more of the Starbuck Chronicles (American Civil War) yet. They seemed to have so much potential in them. o_O

Then again considering what he's done since he did those books, maybe he's just not had a chance yet

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
He'd started on Starbuck after Sharpe and then the TV series of Sharpe came out. There was a huge demand for more Sharpe, so he went back to writing more.

He keeps saying that maybe, when he's done with Sharpe he'll return to Starbuck - we'll see. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Well worth checking out! The main character is Nathaniel Starbuck, the son of a Northern minister, who ends up fighting for the South.

There are four books so far:

1. Rebel (1993)
2. Copperhead (1993)
3. Battle Flag (1995)
4. The Bloody Ground (1995)

The books are really good and you see the war from both sides. The real frustration is that the series ends when it does - but as I said, Cornwell has said that one day, maybe he may continue.

VesuvianRuin

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Funny really, I loved Sharpe the TV show and I'm always preaching to people about any book made into tv show or film to 'read the book, it's always 10 times better' and yet I've never read a Cornwell book ever.

Maybe it's time to get started! ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
VesuvianRuin said:
Funny really, I loved Sharpe the TV show and I'm always preaching to people about any book made into tv show or film to 'read the book, it's always 10 times better' and yet I've never read a Cornwell book ever.

You won't be disappointed! And the joy of Bernard's books is that the history is well researched, so you are learning as well as enjoying a great read.

VesuvianRuin

Lance-Constable
Jul 28, 2008
Sheffield, UK
Tonyblack said:
VesuvianRuin said:

You won't be disappointed! And the joy of Bernard's books is that the history is well researched, so you are learning as well as enjoying a great read.
That appeals to me even more because I am definitely a history buff!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
He's a really good writer of historical fiction that brings a period alive. :laugh:

His characters are believeable whether they are hero or villian. His villians are dreadful people who fill you full of outrage and you find yourself cheering when they are eventually defeated - but then you miss them and want them back.

Witch from Lancre

Lance-Constable
Aug 4, 2008
West Yorkshire
I haven't read the Civil War books. Perhaps I'll read one and see how it goes.

I loved the Sharpe books and was really annoyed when they adapted them for TV. It didn't help that Sean Bean played Sharpe either because I'm not keen on him at all. Gareth hasn't read the books (or rather heard the audio version) but loves the series. I watch TV in this room on my Sky+ box if he's watching it.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Bernard Cornwell's next book 'Azincourt' or 'Agincourt' in the US is set for release in the UK on October 1st. :laugh: I'm relieved as I thought it was due out later in the UK and I was going to be in Tucson - I'd planned to order from Amazon Canada. No need now.

It comes out on January 20th in the US.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
And an excellent book it is too! I bought it and read it almost straight through in one go. :laugh:

He really brings the battle to life and pulls no punches. His research is excellent and the description of the actual battle is one of the best he's ever written.

Go and get it NOW! It's only £10 (and that's for a hardback) in ASDA, what are you waiting for? :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I happened to be looking at Colin Smythe's (Terry's agent) website and the books that Terry has written or contributed to and came upon this item:

AN APPRECIATION OF SHARPE
Bernard Cornwell, Sharpe’s Trafalgar, Scorpion Press, Blakeney, Glos. 1999, p. [vi-viii]. Limited edition, bound in quarter artificial leather and marbled paper-covered boards, 99 numbered copies signed by the author. ‘A further 15 lettered de-lux copies, signed by the author and Terry Pratchett, were produced for private distribution.’ These were bound in quarter real goatskin with raised bands on spine.
More details and a picture here

I had no idea this item existed and my two favourite authors had worked together like this.

:eek: I want one!! :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter