Black Covers (Sorry if this has already been done!)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
You can get dustsheet covers - like they use on library books to preserve the dust cover. A book will have a lot more value with the original dust cover, so they are worth protecting. When I have a new Pratchett first edition, I remove the dust cover and place it as if it were a book, on my bookshelf, I then slip the book inside an old library book plastic cover until I have read it and then reunite book and dust cover. I have to say that with Raising Steam, I actually splashed out and got the Kindle version as well as the hardback. Consequently, the hardback has never actually been opened.

I've said before that it would be good for publishing if they offered a free Kindle download of the book when people buy a first edition hardback.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Slantaholic said:
I've picked up some sticky-back plastic in the sales, and I'm thinking of replacing all my covers and just having gold lettering atop of my Discworld bookshelf.
What do other people do with the dust covers? I've always left them on the books, but they're getting tatty and perhaps it would be best to cut them up and save the art.
Sticky-back plastic would severely damage the books, removing any first-edition value, and nobody has yet tested it for long-term discoloration and breaking down. Given the history of plastics in general and of transparent tape in particular, I would advise against it. Many librarians and book collectors have sadly learned that when the people advertising transparent tape said it was the perfect way to repair books, they lied. Within a few years it yellowed, it broke, and the glue chemistry damaged the pages and then lost its stickiness and fell off, leaving a more-damaged book.
There are non-harmful archival quality transparent bookjacket covers available (Brodart brand is one) that cover the dust covers and protect them, as well as protecting the book. I think it would be possible to adapt them to cover the book itself without harming the book. I suppose you could put the cover in another plastic protector and either store them in a flatpack or hang them on the walls if you like the pictures. They add a significant amount to first-edition value should you or your heirs ever decide to sell. Dealers will mention in ads whether a book's jacket is Brodart-protected.

Slantaholic

Lance-Corporal
Jun 1, 2013
UK
www.fanfiction.net
Oh. Thank you very much for all your advice, Tamar and Tony Black.
You'd be pleased to hear that I haven't done so yet, but unfortunately I need a bare book, and I can't find my cover to UA, so later in the year that's for the chop.
It appears that, unlike Mr Slant's lawyers, I cannot have a bookshelf filled with hardback books with gold intialing, protected with sticky-back plastic.

Alex

Jul 29, 2015
Hi everyone, it's my first time on the forums.

Thanks heaps for the list of ISBNs for the black cover editions of all the books Brett.

A quick question to everyone. What are your thoughts on the chances of Raising Steam and The Shepherds Crown being released in the black covers?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Alex said:

Thanks heaps for the list of ISBNs for the black cover editions of all the books Brett.

A quick question to everyone. What are your thoughts on the chances of Raising Steam and The Shepherds Crown being released in the black covers?
Welcome to the site, Alex. I strongly suspect those two will come out in the black covers. :)

Jaiye

Aug 27, 2015
Tonyblack said:
Alex said:

Welcome to the site, Alex. I strongly suspect those two will come out in the black covers. :)
So any idea when.....? Been waiting since Raising Steam came out to get it in black edition so my bookshelf looks mega! Have even resorted to reading our newborn "The Carpet People" and will then move onto some of the books aimed at children by Sir Terry just to tide me over to being able to dive back into Discworld.....

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site, Jaiye.

As far as I can tell, the black covers only go as far Snuff so far.

Can I suggest that you contact Transworld at: discworld@transworld-publisher​s.co.uk ?

Transworld are the publishers and if anyone would know, it's them. :)

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
The only Discworld books I've ever purchased with the black covers were talking books... and even then just one or two... yes-siree-bob...

*polishes his halo and practices his nonchalant look* ;)

Seriously though... can we discuss talking books in this thread? Or is there a separate thread for them? :)

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
RathDarkblade said:
The only Discworld books I've ever purchased with the black covers were talking books... and even then just one or two... yes-siree-bob...

Seriously though... can we discuss talking books in this thread? Or is there a separate thread for them? :)
Yes if you have a needle.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
RathDarkblade said:

You can go ahead and start a Talking Books thread if you like. There is probably one already started, but I'm not bothered if you want to start a new one. :)

User Menu

Newsletter